PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

My PCM tuning with PCMforLess.com - Process and Results

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator
Default My PCM tuning with PCMforLess.com - Process and Results

Progress timeline (for all you geeks like me that want to keep up with it):

09/28 - Submitted Payment

10/04 - Loaner PCM Shipped (they had to order more loaners - demand is high)

10/6 - Loaner PCM Received

10/7 - Loaner PCM Installed

10/10 - MY PCM shipped to PCMforless via Priority (hope it gets there. Damn P.O. woman barely put the stickers on the box)

10/12 - PCM Programmed and shipped out today.

10/14 - MY PCM Received and installed. Testing in progress.

10/16 - Sent loaner PCM back

10/18 - Deposit for Loaner PCM Refuned

10/20 - Things still improving little by little. Everything is positive so far

I started this thread because I'm going to start the process today or tomorrow. So far Kelly has been very helpful at answering my questions quickly and accurately. I'll keep everybody posted as to what I'm having it tuned for in case anybody is thinking about doing this. As you all know, my magnets weren't cutting it (inside joke)

The only modification I have in my H3 is a K&N Filter in a stock air box. I was looking to purchase the cold air induction (with Dennis's help and advice) and a high-performance exhaust, but after re-thinking it, I realized with as much driving as I do, I probably am not going to want to listen to that rumble in my ears driving 100 miles a day.

I'm going to have the PCM tuned for 93 octane since it's attainable at every gas station in the midwest, and will keep the K&N filter installed, but keep everything else stock. I have a 5-speed manual transmission. The whole proces should not take more then a couple of weeks depending on them having a loaner PCM available for me to use, and how long the shipping back and forth takes.

I'm looking forward to this considering this is the last engine modification (besides perhaps installing some high performance spark plugs when somebody makes them) I intend on doing to my H3. I told myself I'm going to stop after this because I want to concentrate on my house.

Anyway, just some background info if anybody is thinking about doing this. I'll post the results as I get them, from swapping the loaner PCM to the changes I see when it's all said and done. They do alot of business, so it may take a few days to get the loaner PCM shipped out to me while mine is being upgraded, so be patient!

Old 09-28-2006, 12:31 AM
Default RE: My PCM tuning with PCMforLess.com - Process and Results

Sweet!

Please let us know how you like it and please let us know if you have any troubles.

Thanks!

Old 09-28-2006, 12:43 AM

Good luck Mike...I'm sure you will see and feel very positive results compared to the stock tuning....Also note, if that revs continues as you push in on the clutch like it use to...If that goes away..it will be a God send of Alvin's and Kelly's for all the manual tranny owners too..

Old 09-28-2006, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Dennis

Good luck Mike...I'm sure you will see and feel very positive results compared to the stock tuning....Also note, if that revs continues as you push in on the clutch like it use to...If that goes away..it will be a God send of Alvin's and Kelly's for all the manual tranny owners too..
That's what I'm hoping also. I thought about that yesterday when it started happening again. It's happening more often then it did before. I didn't mind it before, but now it's getting really annoying.

Alvin and Kelly: Do you know about the problem some of us have with manual trannies and the engine idling at high speed when letting off the clutch?

Old 10-04-2006, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

The loaner PCM has been shipped out this morning. I should have it by Saturday at the latest.

Old 10-07-2006, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

I just installed the loaner PCM. It was a pain in the butt, but not complicated. I'll post more info later (the wife is mocking me!) and pics of the little piece I broke! Talk later

Old 10-07-2006, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

So, it took me about 30 minutes to get the plugs off the PCM. Even after releasing the levers it was really hard to pull the plugs off. I took the PCM off the mounting thinking it would be easier, but it's actually harder because you don't have any leverage like you do when it's attached to the bracket, so it's easier to leave it in the bracket while trying to remove the three wiring harness's. Once I finally jiggled them loose and removed them, obviously the PCM was easy to remove from the bracket.

I installed the loaner PCM and had a hard time with one of the three harnesses, where I found I cracked a little tiny orance piece inside one of the harnesses (I'll post the pics later), and after trying to put that harness on for 20 minutes, I examined the other one that was identical and found out about the cracked piece, which I removed and then the harness when in with no problem. All together it took me about an hour to swap them. It would have been about half that time if I would have realized there was a little piece of clip stuck in the harness getting in the way of me locking it back down. It wouldn't go in all the way because of it.

I had to do the security relearn procedure to get the car started with the loaner PCM, which took about 35 minutes, and worked successfully. When the truck first started, the engine vibrated alot and it seemed like it couldn't figure out what the appropriate idle speed should be, but after running for about ten minutes, everything smoothed out and it ran just like my original one did. The Check Engine light is on all the time, but that is normal for the loaner PCM since they disable the crank angle sensor. It didn't seem to affect anything in a negative way.

SO, despite all of my trouble getting the wiring harness's off and on, everything was pretty smooth. So far, no problems. I drove about 80 miles with the loaner PCM installed and everything is fine. I'll ship them mine on Monday and hopefully I'll get it back before Saturday, but that probably won't happen.

So far, so good!

Old 10-07-2006, 11:39 PM

Maybe too late now to mention..But I got PCM out and in, in 10 minutes...I removed the Coolant reservoir first..

Old 10-08-2006, 09:42 PM

Did they tell you the check engine light was ok?

I had a loaner in for a week and never had a check engine light.

Old 10-08-2006, 10:20 PM

I remember Kelly mentioning that they would program the loaner PCM so you wouldn't see the check engine light..Guess that one Mike got didn't get the program to ignor the error like yours..But the problem is simple..The PCM has to be told to re-calibrate to the engine it's attached to..Dealers can do it in 10 minutes..otherwise it's nothing to worry about..your returned re-programmed PCM is already calibrated for your engine, provided they didn't reflash completely...

Quick Reply: My PCM tuning with PCMforLess.com - Process and Results