PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

New scam to watch out for!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Default New scam to watch out for!!!

I got an email about a month ago that my email and password info on my AMEX had been changed (which I did not do), so I called AMEX. There were no fraudulent charges on my card, so they just canceled the old one and sent me new one. Easy right? NO!
I got my statement today, and looked over it closely because of the issue. No charges on there that weren't me, so I was relieved. Then I looked at my Reward Points statement toward the back. I had NEGATIVE 57,000 points! Someone had used my reward points (and gotten a 57,000 point advance) to purchase thousands of dollars of AMEX gift cards!
I called AMEX and they will get it all taken care of and get my points back on my account, but I wanted to make everyone aware of this. I had not ever heard of it before, but apparently the hackers are doing this to try to fly under the radar because no charges show up on your actual card. I guess they hope people only pay attention to the actual charges and not to their reward points. If you have any type of card that earns anything, please take a look from now on and make sure isn't stealing your points!

Old 06-23-2011, 10:46 AM

Wow, I've actually seen people with large amounts of gift cards at stores before. Crooks! Most people probably wouldn't even notice that their points are gone.