New Member Frustration - Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:55 AM

Default New Member Frustration

It seems like this is one of the only HUMMER forums still running strong. I used to be a member of 5 different forums but haven't logged into those others in ages. Most of the experienced members are long gone.

I feel almost all initial posters here are asking questions which have been beat to death over the years. I mean, I understand wanting a quick answer but come on! I see Doc constantly moving posts and educating new members.

I try to answer everyone's questions but it is becoming so redundant.......

Just had to rant for a minute in hopes new members would try searching for their answers.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

You make some interesting points. I hear ya.

Many people that drive these daily are younger, possess less auto experience and have no warranty to fall back on as a function of the age and value of these vehicles no longer in production. Consequently they are not the same crowd we used to see frequent the various Hummer boards.

Sure, there are still many enthusiasts for the brand or models, but a lot of the one time wonder posters just stopped by because they did a Google for the Check Engine Light or current symptoms and that brought them here.

Rather than do a search for a more detailed answer here at Hummer Forums and read about it, they want somebody on the other side of their screen to do the diagnostic work for them, recommend "the fix", and be quick about it since the entire fix my car thing is an annoyance.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:48 PM

Kinda sad when you think about it. Oh well, I'll keep chugging along and helping out where I can with the hopes of keeping this forum going. Most of the others have lost so much traffic I don't even log on.

I do agree, the member type has definitely changed. I have a lot of great memories of all the "old timers" and helping each other out with mods.

Cheers to you Doc for keeping this place on the up and up!
Old 09-12-2017, 05:06 AM

I still love this site, but must agree a lot of the questions here are a tad mundane now.
The amount of questions that get asked without being researched first is on the up for sure. The only thing i can think of that might help that, is if there were a few more "stickies" on the forum. You know for the usual things like - Will this tyre/wheel combo fit, or why is my roof corner light leaking, you could begin to amalgamate articles on certain ODB codes particularly regarding intake/cat/O2 sensors, then people could just add their input to those stickies, or particular threads. Just my 2 cents...
Old 09-12-2017, 02:39 PM

I blame social media. There are dozens of Hummer pages and everyone asks the same questions over and over. It a "why do the search myself when someone can just answer me now" attitude.
Most of those people will never even work on their own vehicle and just want to know what to tell the dealer.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:50 AM

I hear you and I too miss the old days, FB has been the demise of most forums.
On the other hand , traffic would be really slow if those same questions were not asked over and over.