New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New Member Frustration

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 10:55 AM
Default New Member Frustration

It seems like this is one of the only HUMMER forums still running strong. I used to be a member of 5 different forums but haven't logged into those others in ages. Most of the experienced members are long gone.

I feel almost all initial posters here are asking questions which have been beat to death over the years. I mean, I understand wanting a quick answer but come on! I see Doc constantly moving posts and educating new members.

I try to answer everyone's questions but it is becoming so redundant.......

Just had to rant for a minute in hopes new members would try searching for their answers.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

You make some interesting points. I hear ya.

Many people that drive these daily are younger, possess less auto experience and have no warranty to fall back on as a function of the age and value of these vehicles no longer in production. Consequently they are not the same crowd we used to see frequent the various Hummer boards.

Sure, there are still many enthusiasts for the brand or models, but a lot of the one time wonder posters just stopped by because they did a Google for the Check Engine Light or current symptoms and that brought them here.

Rather than do a search for a more detailed answer here at Hummer Forums and read about it, they want somebody on the other side of their screen to do the diagnostic work for them, recommend "the fix", and be quick about it since the entire fix my car thing is an annoyance.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:48 PM

Kinda sad when you think about it. Oh well, I'll keep chugging along and helping out where I can with the hopes of keeping this forum going. Most of the others have lost so much traffic I don't even log on.

I do agree, the member type has definitely changed. I have a lot of great memories of all the "old timers" and helping each other out with mods.

Cheers to you Doc for keeping this place on the up and up!

Old 09-12-2017, 05:06 AM

I still love this site, but must agree a lot of the questions here are a tad mundane now.
The amount of questions that get asked without being researched first is on the up for sure. The only thing i can think of that might help that, is if there were a few more "stickies" on the forum. You know for the usual things like - Will this tyre/wheel combo fit, or why is my roof corner light leaking, you could begin to amalgamate articles on certain ODB codes particularly regarding intake/cat/O2 sensors, then people could just add their input to those stickies, or particular threads. Just my 2 cents...

Old 09-12-2017, 02:39 PM

I blame social media. There are dozens of Hummer pages and everyone asks the same questions over and over. It a "why do the search myself when someone can just answer me now" attitude.
Most of those people will never even work on their own vehicle and just want to know what to tell the dealer.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:50 AM

I hear you and I too miss the old days, FB has been the demise of most forums.
On the other hand , traffic would be really slow if those same questions were not asked over and over.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:14 PM

New guy, I probably posted the oldest one in the book about gas mileage. And I apologize if I was part of the mundane crew. As a newbie, I will explain what I did. I googled for hummer gas mileage I guess . I found the forum and scrolled through the main ones, saw an H2 section and boom I started to ask my question. Oh wait, I can't asked until I sign in. Okay, got it. I'm in, now where was I, oh yeah gas mileage . My thoughts at this point....." I bet I can get an honest quick response pretty quickly if I just ask my own question.

All that said, I think people like to ask what's on their mind. I think yes, they/we can search a little harder. New forum. New site. New categories. New people. It's honestly just easier to post a quick question rather than dig through abunch of old threads .

Most old threads eventually get muddled with random conversation between forum friends or an asinine fight over someone's TONE in the replies!

So don't be so quick to judge the new people out there. I personally am a forum junkie and have recently found my new found addiction! Hope this helps! And, Hello to all "old forum peeps" I'm Kyle!

Old 09-26-2018, 07:34 AM
Cool

Kyle, there's a huge difference between doing research and going on a forum and saying "I have these symptoms, what do I do?" When you read the posts it'd pretty much obvious who does research and who just goes fishing for solutions. And then the complaining about how bad your Hummer is, that's ridiculous (not directed at you personally). If you wanted a "Get in, turn the key and go....." type of transportation proper research upfront would have taken you to something else other than a Hummer. The older members on this forum bought Hummers, like their Hummers, and continue to own and maintain their Hummers because that's what we desire to do.
That's my two cents.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:53 AM

One of my biggest pet peeves is....

I'm thinking about buying "this" H2, what things should I look out for?

I mean really, do some research. That topic has been beat to death since the beginning of the H2 yet no one will look around at the hundreds of threads to learn their answers. I will answer but simply tell them its an old vehicle and if you're not willing to wrench on the thing good luck.

Asking about gas mileage, not a huge ordeal in my book. That's an easy answer! Chooch his the nail on the head. Obviously you did your research which is why you received answers. Glad you became part of the forum!

Old 09-26-2018, 10:28 AM

Amazing on how many things change over time

Quick Reply: New Member Frustration