PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hummers and the enviroment

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 09:18 AM
Cool Hummers and the enviroment

Hi,

Lately I ,and many other owners to I think, have been getting lots of Questions about the environment and now also some from th e occupy stuff with welt and the price of an hummer.
Please tell me what you think about al this talking about the environment.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:32 AM

I am an environmental scientist, and I think this environmental spin some people are on is over the top. Some of their concepts/ideas are outrageous.

For the few hummers that are on the road, if they were to be "taken off" would have a negligible impact on the environment, so IMO it makes no sense to complain about one type of car (which doesnt have the worst MPGs on the road). It's just the reputation our cars received in the beginning.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:47 PM
Banned

you are encountering what is known as a liberal. if you try to understand them, you will end up just as crazy,possibly worse since you now have a funcional brain,capable of rational thought. you might hang on a longer time than an average idiot.
they simply must be ignored AND defeated in all elected offices where they can inflict their twisted will on others. pass it on,,,and pray, they dont know what it means

Old 11-22-2011, 02:19 PM

There is a lot more to environmental impact than mpg. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of a hybrid, especially something like a Chevy Volt that's a series hybrid (erev). Unfortunately they just do not make good monetary sense and the environmental impact is anywhere from much worse to about the same but different, depending on which expert you listen to, when compared to an equivalent non-hybrid model.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:40 PM

i dont really have alot to contribute here but it is an interesting topic because of the reasons stated here. just my opinions on the topic and how hummers arent any worse than any other similar vehicle.

the amount of hummers out there just isnt worth the bashing they get. its really too bad that they have such a reputation for being terrible, they arent any worse than any other high performance vehicle at the end of the day.

i read somewhere on here by a person that stated "when asked what i drive, i simply say SUV" this is an agreeable statement just to stay out of the conversation here. it is a sad but true statement and i too will probably use the same statement in the future.

even talking about buying an h2 stirs up the conversation with most people i talk to. the first statement out of their mouth: why would you want a gas guzzler like that. whats it get 10 mpg? in all reality no, it is better than that, not much but it is. it isnt much worse than our suburban that gets 16 most of the time and is a much more capable, bigger vehicle by comparison. it gets better mileage than a 1500 series truck with the equivalent lift as the hummer is stock running 35s. i know my 1997 silverado with a 6" lift running 35s and running 4.55 gears would be getting around 12 too. apples to apples comparison doesnt show that the h2 is that bad.

im betting the equivalent coal burned to power these hybrids isnt any better than the gas emissions they are burning running gas in them. the materials used in the batteries for them cant be real good either. i dont know exactly whats in the new ones but even if theres no acid or anything in them, they are still built with something and need to be replaced.

they wont be winning any arguments with me over what is better, i just wont argue with them. haha

i dont usually hear anything about how expensive they are though, thats an interesting twist to the conversation. theres no one up here with anything expensive or exotic so they really dont classify anything into that price bracket. the occasional h2 thats around is always stock and mainly unclad so they dont really look chromed out and flashy. h3s are just another vehicle from what ive seen, there arent many of those around my area either so they are suprising for me to see when i see them. i probably see the amount of h3s in a week that you guys see h2s. there might be 1 h2 in town on a busy weekend and he is up on vacation when they are driving around.

sorry for rambling, i dont think much of that was a contribution to the thread.
steve

Last edited by honda400ex2003; 11-22-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:35 AM
Cool

Like its not that I care about the planet or something, as long as it keeps on going until i am dead. but the question from all those tree-huggers who cant afford a hummer are driving me crazy. Also because I work at Wall-Street they are being even worse.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:18 PM

Something sounds fishy to me here.

1. You seem to be starting something here (this forum)??? Not a single mention of "your HUMMER" on a any of your 4 posts? Do you own a HUMMER? Model, Year, Pix?
2. "Like its not that I care about the planet or something, as long as it keeps on going until i am dead" well that is a crazy thing to say. Maybe you need to look at yourself for the reasons the "tree-huggers" are giving you chit!
3. "tree-huggers who cant afford a hummer are driving me crazy", WHAT? The people you speak of "tree-huggers" are stupid misinformed followers of the "main stream media" they are not envious of you they are just followers that have been fed incorrect information and took it as fact.
4. "I work at Wall-Street", So you work ON Wall St. but you can not form a complete sentence using proper typing/writing and language skills that are necessary to be in a financial position on said Wall St?????? Wall St. and what?

Old 11-26-2011, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Something sounds fishy to me here.
This.

Reads like a poor attempt at trolling.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:02 PM

I love driving my Hummer, I let it idle all the time too. Sometimes when I'm getting gas, I just let it spray everywhere and sometimes soak other drivers in it. I am wasteful and park near Hydrofracking signs. Nobody can change it either lol.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:43 PM

I thing is why do other people care how much I pay for gas. It's my hummer and I knew going into this what I would spend. Big deal.
But what really burns me is when some ignorant person says they are just a Chevy tahoe with a hummer body. Really? And the "H2 have no offorad capabilities". I know these folks have NO clue but come on. Or a jeep is better. Well maybe I wanted something I can off road but still be comfortable in. You don't hear people hating on old gas guzzling muscle cars or a ferrari do you. Nope. I off road with mine every weekend and I have a lot of fun. I don't bash their hobbies.

Quick Reply: Hummers and the enviroment