PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 05:59 PM
Default HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My German Shephard just tore up my pitbull/leopard...he has a few big gashes in his side...the vet is closed till tomorrow at 9 am and I will not bring him to the nearby emergency vet (the bastages killed my Lab last year)....Is neosporin ok to use on a dog? I got the bleeding stopped but I want to keep the wounds from getting infected....please help!!!

Old 01-13-2008, 06:18 PM
Default RE: HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

your in luck. i use to work for a vet. clean the wound good. if you have something you squirt water in the spot to clean it that would help. neosporine is what most vets use under a diff. name. try to cover if possible. hope he/she does ok.

p.s. I would call the law or animal control tonite and report it and they will come and get the dog and hold him for rabies check.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:25 PM

My dog is blind, so she tends to get a lot of cuts and gashes from running into things. The Vet told me to put neosporine on any of the cuts.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:39 PM

thanks guys...I cleaned them real good and put neo on it. Bandages won't hold but I'm trying my best. IS him licking the wounds good or bad??? I always heard it was good to have them lick the wound? Here is a ic of one of the wounds....camera phone so the pic sucks but man it's like 1/4" deep.

I don't think I have to worry about rabies...both dogs have been mine since they were pups...they have always fought.....the shepherd finally won.

Name:  bailey.jpg
Views: 1853
Size:  34.1 KB

Old 01-13-2008, 06:56 PM

I don't know about the licking, but can't you wrap a ace bandage around him/her to hold a bandage pad?

Old 01-13-2008, 07:01 PM

I've been trying that but the damn bandage keeps sliding down...the wounds are up near his front shoulder on his side...PITA location.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:03 PM

Oh...............As long as they are not bleeding anymore, you should be ok.

You could always try the lamp shade idea................lol

Old 01-13-2008, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

My vet always tells me not to let them lick it because bacteria from their mouth can cause infections.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

No matter what you put on it your dog will try to take it off and lick the wound. Only real downside is licking off the neosporin. I know this sounds wierd but instead of stitches they are using superglue to glue wounds together now. I know they do it on animals and the last time I sliced my finger they used superglue instead of stitches. You might try hold the two sides of the cut together and spreading a layer of superglue over the area. If you can keep it pinched together for a few minutes it should hold.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

Are you kidding me? Superglue? I thought that was just a myth. I don't think that would be good right now considering he isn't sure if there is an infection.