PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Turbo or Super

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 07:13 PM
Default Turbo or Super

I have a 2005 Black Hummer H2 SUT and what is better from experience, a supercharger or a turbocharger.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:44 PM
Default RE: Turbo or Super

depends what you want more power-> more gas consuption then go with supercharger, more torque-> shorter engion life (do to the air being forced in at sucha high pressure) go with turbo charger.

BTW wrong forum!!!!!!!!

heres where you should post it https://www.hummerforums.com/forumid_212/tt.htm

Old 07-31-2007, 11:23 AM

Sorry didnt notice

Old 07-31-2007, 11:53 AM

Both a turbo and a supercharger will shorten engine life because they both pressurize the cylinders more than natrual aspiration. A supercharger works all of the time because it is connected directly to the crankshaft, where as a turbo is driven by the exahust and only creates boost when needed. A turbo can be fitted with a waste gate to regultae total boost pressure, where as I don't believe a supercharger can be. Because the turbo is powered by the exahust, there is a lag between the time you put your foot into it and it builds boost. This lag is noticeable, but predictable. A supercharger has no lag since an increase in crankshaft rpm directly affect the supercharger speed and boost. A turbo will create higher exahust temps because of the restriction of theturbine in the exahust sytem close to the heads. This extra heat must be dealt with, or critical engine components may melt, or cause a fire. Typically proper placement in the engine bay, heat shields, and a moderate boost level is all that is needed.
I would suspect a turbocould provide better fuel economy than a supercharger because you can drive a turbo with little to no boost and basically have exactly what you have now with the same fuel consumption, whereas with the supercharger you have boost all the time and therefore extra fuel, to maintain the air/fuel ratio, all the time.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

I'd agree with 99.9% of that with exception to the Magnachargers. I installed one on a LS1 and it was amazing. You would never know it was there.... until you put your foot into it.

I would never add one to my H2 though. I would be seriously afraid to recloate the air intake when I was fording water/mud.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:03 PM

I would like to put a turbocharger on the H2 but Im not sure becuse I dont wanna blow up the engine or melt anything. Ive also been looking at the gas to diesel engine conversion. Has anyone on this forum tried it and is it worth the 40 grand its worth.

http://www.predatormotorsports.com/i...ustom&ID=6

Old 08-01-2007, 07:15 PM

Supercharger....No Wait.....Turbo....No Super... Oh HELL, what do I know!![8D]

Old 08-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: HummBob

Supercharger....No Wait.....Turbo....No Super... Oh HELL, what do I know!![8D]
Superchargers are shiny.....

or you could do it detroit diesel style.... and have it blown with a turbo.....

Old 08-02-2007, 10:26 PM

I have the Magnuson radix supercharger and wouldn't change it for the world. Not only is it a hell of alot more fun to drive but I picked up 2 mpg too.

Tim

Old 08-03-2007, 02:18 AM

ORIGINAL: ttkresurfacing

I have the Magnuson radix supercharger and wouldn't change it for the world. Not only is it a hell of alot more fun to drive but I picked up 2 mpg too.

Tim

Tim, Is It SHINY!!!!!

Quick Reply: Turbo or Super