PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Returning H3 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 11:46 PM
Default Returning H3 Owner, AV Southern California

Hi,

Missed my 2008 H3 Base, which I traded in back in 2011, due to the $4 Plus fuel prices back then.

Wanting another 4x4 due to my relocation to brown and dusty Southern California, from the green and wet state of Washington, I went looking first for a 2005/2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited w/a Manual Transmission. Found one, an Orange 2005 Soft Top w/130K on it, but it had issues w/it's emergency brake not working right, the powertrain sounded awful noisy, plus it was a soft top. With it being so dusty around here, plus be hot, I would of been physically covered w/dirt by the end of a run, even w/the top up. If it had a hardtop, I might of considered it.

Next I went to go see a 2008 H3 Base, identical to what I once owned, including color and having a rare manual transmission. It was in great shape, w/97,100 miles on it. I test drove it on both highway, and off-road, including checking out the transfer case. No issues, Checking underneath, there were no leaks, broken seals or boots, of any kind, nor evidence of any heavy off-roading. The only issue was, it had 285's vs. the stock 265 tires, plus they were noisy off-road, way too aggressive for what I needed.

So I bought it, drove it home and immediately started going through it w/a new air filter (NAPA), oil/filter change (Full Synthetic 5W-30), new battery (Sealed Diehard), new tires, including spare, (LT265/75-16) Uniroyal, had the Engine Coolant Flush/Replacement including inspecting the Serpentine Belt/Belt Tensioner/Water Pump and Radiator, had the Throttle Body cleaned, and ran Chevron Techron through two tank fills.

Left to do - Spark Plugs, Brake Fluid and Power Steering Fluid Replacement, Powertrain Oil Change, New Universals (Front and Back), New Shocks, and the eventual Serpentine Belt/Belt Tensioner/Water Pump Replacements, Have it leveled, since the rear is a lot higher than the front.

Oh, I've got to do something about that sharp edge next to the radiator top. I plan to put a piece of a door edge guard there, w/some soft foam to absorb any radiator movement. That's what my past Hummer Certified Mechanic did on my old H3.

Any other suggestions?

Essentially I'll have a brand new truck w/97K miles.

The H3 is definitely a lot more comfortable to drive off-road than a Wrangler is. I don't plan to do anything heavy, just dirt roads in the back country. I've never been into jacking up the suspension and putting BIG wheels on my past 4x4's. You really don't need it, other than for the looks, unless maybe you plan on doing some heavy rock climbing perhaps.

Last edited by GoHack; 06-22-2017 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:14 AM

Welcome back to HF

Old 06-22-2017, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome back, congrats on H3 #2.

Put some tires on that thing, 265s look like they belong on your mother's Oldsmobile.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Welcome back, congrats on H3 #2.

Put some tires on that thing, 265s look like they belong on your mother's Oldsmobile.

I go w/function, and not for the looks. Bigger tires will not only screw up the gearing and the speedometer, but are also heavier, which will not help the already bad gas mileage of the H3. Plus the aggressive off-road tires are a lot noisier on the highway. Other than looks, for some people, there's nothing to be gained w/bigger tires.

Last edited by GoHack; 06-22-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:45 PM

Ground clearance, stability, off the pavement traction, mileage is probably not in the perspective of most HUMMER owners. But it's your rig and your $. Just don't say "just for looks". Some of us wheel our rigs.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome

Old 06-25-2017, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Ground clearance, stability, off the pavement traction, mileage is probably not in the perspective of most HUMMER owners. But it's your rig and your $. Just don't say "just for looks". Some of us wheel our rigs.
As do I, that's why I bought it.

For general off-roading, dirt roads, logging roads, including many of the unmaintained, etc., are what I like to do. You don't need oversized tires w/a lift, much less, a big fuel sucking V8. One thing, which is good to have from my experience, is a good winch. Including the tow straps and shackles.

Plus make damn sure to have a well maintained rig, w/good tires, including having a spare, because the very last thing that you want is to break down in the middle of nowhere, much less, to have a flat w/no spare. That's why I'm going through my rig from top to bottom.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:21 AM

Oh, and on Saturday, driving on highway Rt. 14, north of Mojave, California, w/my cruise locked in at 65 mph, and my AC running, I got over 20.92 mpg (21). It was a hot 110 F.

Last edited by GoHack; 06-26-2017 at 07:05 AM.