PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

New Owner of a 2008 H3!!

Old 09-13-2011, 05:17 PM
Default New Owner of a 2008 H3!!

Hey Everyone! Just dropping by to announce my new ownership of a 2008 Hummer H3! Just traded in my old '00 Chevy Z71 1 week ago toady for this H3(Base 3.7) w/ 26k miles on it and a new 4yr warranty from the dealer. I am just 1 week deep in this ownership and am already in love with everything about my new ride. I have been doing a lot of reading from old posts past in regards to the torsion bar lift/crank and what intake/exhaust mods are recommended. Currently I plan on doing the Torsion Bar level w/ Bilstein shocks(Cognito Motorsports is just down Hwy 99 in Bako and I live in Fresno or I might've found a site that sells them for $145 OTD Shipped), Air Doc Intake(to keep my filter clean and mud free as the manufacturer designed it), a Gibson Cat back exhaust and I'll probably just powder coat my stocks black and keep the stock tires until they die(lot's of good miles left ). I was hoping for some input on these upgrades(as in will it void my warranty) as well as other advise you can offer this new Hummer lover. Thanks for your time.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:15 PM

Hello and Welcome from MI! Congrats on you new to you H3.

Looks like you have done a good amount of research on your future H3 modifications.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:26 PM

For what its worth, a local Chevy dealer is pulling my head and replacing all my lifters under warranty this coming Monday and I have an AirDoc and a Magnaflow catback.

I'd say it just depends on the dealership and how badly they want to do the work. It took me awhile to find a dealer that wanted to try to help me with my engine ticking, it was obvious that most dealers didn't want to be bothered with that kind of work.

The only thing the tech did warn me about was a custom tune, and said if I had one to make sure it's put back to the factory tune before I bring it in.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:45 PM
rsc

Draketh, that wasn't an engine tick, that was rocks in the dryer! Glad they're handling it for ya.

Medic_Morgan, sounds like a great purchase and some good ideas you have there! You're going to love owning the H3, do you plan on any wheeling? I didn't at first but after the first scratch I said heck with it and stopped worrying about the paint. It'll go farther offroad stock than the Jeep guys like to think!

Old 09-13-2011, 08:08 PM

@Tainter: It was kind of a rash decision by the seat of my pants to buy the H3 as I have never owned such an new vehicle or ever thought i could afford a Hummer lol The dealership gave me an incredible deal and afew hours later I was driving off with the wife in an ex-leased H3 that was owned by a 50y/o who never touched the dirt haha. As for the mods I've read thru all the back posts and done a weeks worth of web-surfing that's driven my wife crazy(Current abused phrase coming from my mouth "Damn babe look what else our new truck can do!!")

@Draketh: How did you go about talking to the dealer about work? I've never had owner a car under warranty so I am somewhat new to this(Sorry in advance if I sound stupid)

@RSC: I plan to do as much wheeling as I can on my days off of working the ambulance. I live in Clovis Ca which is the lil city of 100k next to Fresno and is considered the "Gateway to the Sierra's" **http://www.flickr.com/photos/rosehav.../2994520362/** So hopefully I'll be able to find some good trails to start out on.

I've also been looking at installing a hitch since my Base H3 didn't come with one. Does anyone know a good site that sells one's that will fit the H3 w/o dropping below the bumper? I would like to keep the factory 30ish deg departure angles(killed by the bolt-on below bumper hitches). I don't mind wrenching on my new ride or making some minor bumper trims if need be.

Thanks

Old 09-13-2011, 08:13 PM

Just roll into any GMC/Chevy dealer, tell them your problem, and they'll fix it if it's still under warranty. I've had more things than I can count fixed under warranty.

My engine knock was a little harder to get fixed since every time it would stop doing it by the time I got to the dealer so they just had my word that it was happening. Once I finally proved it was as bad as I claimed they happily offered to fix it under the power train warranty.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:27 PM

Sounds pretty easy if you ask me. Now since I plan on doing these mods myself, should I keep my stock parts just in case they hassle me at the dealership?

Old 09-13-2011, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Medic_Morgan
Sounds pretty easy if you ask me. Now since I plan on doing these mods myself, should I keep my stock parts just in case they hassle me at the dealership?
Keeping stock parts is always a good idea. I have a bunch of my spare parts sitting in an extra bedroom. The only thing I didn't keep was my factory navigation head unit because it was just a huge POS.

Any dealer that is going to give you crap about your warranty over an exhaust or air intake....well...I wouldn't let them touch my truck to begin with.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Medic_Morgan
I kept all mine just in case. Plus, on resale (if that even occurs LOL) sometimes I bring stuff I sell back to stock since some people prefer stock over modified. Then sell the aftermarket stuff and make more on return.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:27 PM

Hahaha resale? That word is no longer in my vocabulary Nor shall it ever be in the same sentence as "Hummer"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Owner of a 2008 H3!!