PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Dumb Mistake - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 09:44 AM
Default Dumb Mistake - Need Help

I've had my 2006 H2 for about a year and I really enjoy it. I decided to change the engine oil yesterday and made a dumb mistake. I looked at the owners manual for guidance on the drain plug but as you probably know there isn't any. So, I crawled under the front and found the hole in the skid plate which appeared to be a cutout for a drain plug. Thinking this was the engine oil plug, I drained the fluid from it which was an amber color. Realizing that only about a quart or so came out, I went to the web and learned that I did not drain the engine oil.

In the end I was able to locate and replace the filter, drain the oil and refill it. However, I don't want to drive it until I replace the quart or so of fluid I drained. I believe this is the transfer case, but can not find a confirmation anywhere. I used a 1/2 inch socket to remove the drain plug and I see another similar plug above it which I assume is the filler.

Can someone offer guidance on what I did and what fluid I need to put back in it? I have read that if it is the transfer case there is some concern as to using the correct fluid since Decron III is no longer made.

Thanks in advance for your help. I also deserve any abuse for being such a dumb ***.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:12 PM

take a pic as my 03 h2 transfer case skid plate does not have a hole in it. I highly doubt you drained the xfer case as you would have easily seen that you would be near the mid to back of the h2. You probably drained the front diff. But as i said take and post a pic of where you pulled the plug. BTW the dealer still sells dex III and so does all the autoparts stores.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:05 PM
Default Thanks

Greg260:

I was able to figure out that I drained the front differential and not the transfer case. I refilled it with the proper gear lube and all is well again. Thanks for you help.