Always wanted H2 -help - Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Old 01-07-2017, 12:49 PM

Default Always wanted H2 -help

New member, Always loved the H2 and have been looking at finally purchasing one.... lots of models and mileage on these units as they age... What do I need to look for and what are the areas or signs to avoid on a unit before purchasing.... hoping to avoid a money pit... aren't we all? lol
Love to hear anyone experience.

Found a stock 2003 H2 with 146K miles looks clean and excellent condition, price is $12,900 did not test drive yet but seems too good of a deal... anything you guys can tell me would be appreciated!

Thanks
Old 01-09-2017, 07:46 PM

Some Things to look for on a h2: Exhaust manifold leaks...make sure the bolts aren't rotted off or missing, radiator fluid mixing with transmission fluid, hub bearings, roof leaks (easy fix) , transmissions, pitman and idler arm worn, axle seal leaks, blend door mechanisms (check heater functions work/move from area to area), interior lights out (steering controls are always out)..Not trying to scare you...just a few things to look for....if you are not mechanically inclined pay a dealer for inspection...let them rip the vehicle apart..$100 inspection could save you from buying a money pit...Good luck in your search...I love my H2

Last edited by Caraddict; 01-09-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:54 AM

OK A little scared now.... actually about what I expected from a vehicle about 10 years old and the gremlins that can develop... I really appreciate it.
Sounds like everyone that has them, love them and aren't we all willing to deal with a little challenges if the product is that good, can't wait to get some off road time in one. It would be a second vehicle for me not daily driver so won't be as painful to deal with hopefully.
Thanks again!
Old 01-11-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sign-Guy1 View Post
OK A little scared now.... actually about what I expected from a vehicle about 10 years old and the gremlins that can develop... I really appreciate it.
Sounds like everyone that has them, love them and aren't we all willing to deal with a little challenges if the product is that good, can't wait to get some off road time in one. It would be a second vehicle for me not daily driver so won't be as painful to deal with hopefully.
Thanks again!
Don't be scared that's a list of possibilities...but with a vehicle with over 100,000 miles it's bound to have issues...where I work we are selling a 05 H2 with 45,000 miles and we had to do both exhaust manifolds...plus other safety stuff...Like I said smart to pay for inspection before purchasing...lots of shady people/dealers out there...
Old 01-11-2017, 06:42 PM

That definitely helps, In your professional opinion should I pay up to 10K more for a low mileage machine or for example found a nice 03 with 147 miles on it but the guy just did replace trans added all the front end and steering parts redone etc. New exhaust etc.... I guess you never know, Has a small lift nice 20" fuel wheels and 36" tires. He wants $17K...

I also found locally all stock one owner with only 38K miles on it, $28K garage kept etc, looks practically new, I definitely want lift it and 37" tires ideally. If I do I'm adding 6 to 7K so Im in pretty deep

where would you lean with your money?
Thanks!!
Old 01-11-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sign-Guy1 View Post
That definitely helps, In your professional opinion should I pay up to 10K more for a low mileage machine or for example found a nice 03 with 147 miles on it but the guy just did replace trans added all the front end and steering parts redone etc. New exhaust etc.... I guess you never know, Has a small lift nice 20" fuel wheels and 36" tires. He wants $17K...

I also found locally all stock one owner with only 38K miles on it, $28K garage kept etc, looks practically new, I definitely want lift it and 37" tires ideally. If I do I'm adding 6 to 7K so Im in pretty deep

where would you lean with your money?
Thanks!!
I would buy the newest lowest mile one You could afford...worry about mods later...and obviously pay for an inspection to make sure your not buying a money pit...much more fun spending money on mods than repairs/maintenance...good luck!