PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

2wd kit for h2 and h3

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 01:06 PM

Thanks for the education Doc .
Was there significant MPG difference when you did your conversion in the 70s? Being able to do a burnout with a Hummer could be worthy enough to do the conversion but a gas savings is even better

Old 12-09-2017, 10:11 AM

I can tell you when I had some TC issues with the front not engaging the thing was a dog. I mean they're no indy car by any means with all 4 tires pulling the weight around but decrease it to only the rear and holy hell good luck getting these big girls moving lol.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:32 PM
Default Big improvement

Big improvement

I own a 2005 Hummer SUT with a lift kit and 38” tires. The transfer case failed. My friend recommended a 2wd/4wd version of a transfer case from George. I was hesitant at first, but George spent alot of time with me and answered all of my questions. I went with it and after two months of driving with it:
- It has alot more power;
- It is not sluggish at all (which was my main concern); and
- Depending on how it’s driven, it gets better gas mileage, between 2-4 mpg improvement (unless of course you can’t keep your foot off the gas due to having more power lol). I am happy I did it
And have no regrets 😁

Old 01-25-2018, 04:39 PM

Sorry, not buying it. It may "seem" like it has more power, likely because you can more easily spin the rear tires...that just means that you're not actually "going" anywhere the way you are when you had AWD. I also have a hard time believing that you are getting 2-4 mpg better; as Doc said, you are STILL pushing the entire front driveline- both hubs, both CV axles, front diff, front driveshaft. You either push all of that from the rear, or push all of that from the front; either way you're moving it. That also means that same amount of wear and tear. Only way to reduce the drag/wear n tear is to disconnect at both the transfer case AND the hubs.

Last edited by 650Hawk; 01-25-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:38 PM
Default Big improvement

Originally Posted by 650Hawk
Sorry, not buying it. It may "seem" like it has more power, likely because you can more easily spin the rear tires...that just means that you're not actually "going" anywhere the way you are when you had AWD. I also have a hard time believing that you are getting 2-4 mpg better; as Doc said, you are STILL pushing the entire front driveline- both hubs, both CV axles, front diff, front driveshaft. You either push all of that from the rear, or push all of that from the front; either way you're moving it. That also means that same amount of wear and tear. Only way to reduce the drag/wear n tear is to disconnect at both the transfer case AND the hubs.
This forum is for those interested in this topic because no one has done it. Do you have this conversion, or know someone who has this conversion? Have you driven in an H2 with this conversion? I have this conversion done to my H2. I definitely do not go around spinning my 38” tires. I know my H2 in and out. It has a little more get up and go and has ranged between 2-4 more mpg. My commute to work is 19 miles and have been doing it with this vehicle for a while and usually check my gas mileage almost every tank. So I know what I am averaging. I joined this forum because I love H2s and figured there were people out there that have them that were thinking about doing the conversion. This way, they can hear the results from someone that actually did it, rather than hearsay.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Madraptor04
This forum is for those interested in this topic because no one has done it. Do you have this conversion, or know someone who has this conversion? Have you driven in an H2 with this conversion?
This forum is for everyone who has (or is interested in) Hummers, not just those that agree with you. In fact, skepticism and debate about ideas is healthy.

No, I don’t have this conversion. No, I haven’t driven an H2 with this conversion. But I do have something that can be used for a valid real world comparison. My ’06 4WD Tahoe has 3 different modes: 2WD (“True” 2WD, with both the transfer case AND the hubs disengaged), 4WD (both Hi & Lo), and Auto4WD (hubs are engaged but transfer case is disengaged unless needed-which never happens unless there is wheelspin). That Auto4WD mode is almost exactly what your conversion provides in your daily driving; disengaged TC but engaged hubs and the entire front driveline still turning.

First, mileage: I get about 17mpg in “True” 2WD, and about 14mpg in 4WD. But Auto4WD gives only a slight increase over 4WD, about 15mpg. Why? Because I’m still pushing the entire front drivetrain, albeit by the tires instead of the TC. It is like driving in 2WD with the front brakes dragging slightly. Turning the front drivetrain requires the same amount of energy, regardless of what end you apply it to.

Next, performance. Again, the drag is still there. If I squint my eyes and squeeze my butt cheeks really hard, “maybe” there is a performance difference between “true” 2WD and 4WD, but certainly nothing to write home about. Granted, a Tahoe is not an H2, nor is it an H3. But all of the same forces apply; Physics is funny that way.

Hey, if you’re happy with the conversion, more power to you. I just see no real point unless the hubs can be disengaged as well.

Last edited by 650Hawk; 01-26-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:09 AM

I'd have to agree with 650, as I said when I had TC issues and the fronts not engaging the thing would barely move. Maybe if you gutted the front drivetrain you would see the gains that you claim to be getting but I just don't see it coming from a vehicle where one is lucky to get 13mpg. Glad it worked out for you but I DO have experience with only running the rear wheels and I would never spend money to do it by choice.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:48 AM

gonna be hard to peddle this kit on an enthusiast forum. we know too much here. put it on ebay for some sales. use a buy it now price for the impulsive types.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Echelon
gonna be hard to peddle this kit on an enthusiast forum. we know too much here. put it on ebay for some sales. use a buy it now price for the impulsive types.

We need a thumbs up button for this post lol!

Old 02-18-2018, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by GEORGE TCU
I made and tested a part time kit for 4484/4493/4494, to save wear and tear on the front drive line plus gas mileage increase with a great power increase. This is a plug and play kit goes into the transfer case removes 40/60 split differential power is 100% to the rear wheels. 4wd is the turn of the dial (lock) and low the same. 2wd is where your awd mode is.
George tcu
How does one go about purchasing the kit?

Quick Reply: 2wd kit for h2 and h3