PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 07:03 PM
Default Cold Air Intake

I have read some of the past posts on this, but I am looking for additional opinions on what to do.

I installed the K&N CAI on my 06 back in August. I am happy with the performance, but with the filter being exposed, it gets very dirty very quickly. Also, the heat shield seems cheep, and when I accelerate on the highway I can hear it vibrating......

I am considering the Volant CAI mainly because the filter is enclosed in a case, but I would like to hear some opinions on which type performs better.....an open filter, or an enclosed filter???

Old 04-16-2007, 02:10 AM
Default RE: Cold Air Intake

K&N vs Volant.....Purely my opinion.

K&N is the learder in CAI, K&N set up for the H3 gets all the air it needs

Never heard of a K&N heat shield rattle...(Mounting hardware need re adjusting)

K&N is visible so you can keep track of how dirty it's getting,

Volant airbox rattle (many testimonies to this)
Volant used the same air hole in the fender as the stock does..(air source is the same as stock)
Volant comes with missing hardware (many testimonies to this)
Volant will get just as dirty and as fast, but you won't see it happening (no more guilt trip)

Old 04-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Default RE: Cold Air Intake

TrueFlow over both if you do a lot of offroading. Keep the stock airbox and just get rid of the junk in the middle. Wait for me to get mine though so I can tell you if it's cheap crap lol

Old 11-09-2009, 11:01 PM

I have got AEM on mine and it works perfect. I would suggest getting these kind of cold air intake. it has a million mile warranty and can be washed and reused.

Last edited by atashashane; 11-10-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:11 AM

I was just thinking about finding a replacement filter... I can't justify spending the added cash for my 06 SUT when it in fact is already USING cold air... I like the idea of not having a box surrounding my filter due to more airflow but the dirty part... Not like'n that idea one bit... I was just talkin to a rep @ a part store & my dumbass forgot/didn't write down what filter to find on the web.. K&N does NOT make a replacement & I don't know MUCH about AIRRAID... But they DO make a replacement highflow filter... How much is the AEM package???

Old 12-15-2009, 02:10 PM

I have 33/12.5/20. do you think i could get much if any gain in my mpg's with a CAI? worth the cash?

Old 01-19-2010, 06:36 PM

I have read most of the info here on cold air intakes
I can't find a specific listing for a K & N or AEM system for the H3 5.3LV8, .am I overlooking something?
I have a Championship Edition and have ordered a magnaflow exhaust and now need a less restrictive intake. K & N only lists the filter in the exisitng air box. AEM doesn't list one.
I have used both these brands on different vehicles and have been happy with them.

Can anyone answer who has one on a 5.3L?

Thanks

Old 01-25-2010, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by sb99acr

Can anyone answer who has one on a 5.3L?

Thanks
Looks like Volant is the only company with an intake for your Vortec. and it looks to be about $400 ish!! WOW!!!

I would just figure out what other SUV or Pick up truck GM makes that uses the same Vortec and see if the numbers match up with the factory air box/filter. For example, my old 2003 escalade with the 6.0 V8 used the same drop in air filter as did the 5.3 from the silverado. Same went for K&N and other intake systems. Same motor same setup under the hood, mounting it may be a little different but you could always fab a mounting system that works for you. Same thing with V6 H3 and Canyon/Colorado drop ins and intake systems. Do they make a V8 canyon or colorado? that might fit? Good Luck!

Last edited by JDTDBD; 01-25-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:01 AM

I would highly recommend looking at the airdoc intakes they are by far the best bang for your buck... otherwise you just throwing you money into something that may or may not have design flaws, and with our rigs not really give you that much additional horsepower...