Hummer H3T The popular H3 gets the added capabilties of a small pick-up, with the look and performance of the original H3.

Upgrading Rear Speakers H3T 6.9 adapters?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 07:42 AM
Default Upgrading Rear Speakers H3T 6.9 adapters?

Ok so I pulled my rear speakers out 6.9's to replace the original speakers and factory speakers have the adapter built into the speakers. Is there a adapter made by a company that supports a direct replacement?
Or do I need to find a universal 6.9 adapter and modifiy my install to fit properly? Thanks Mates

Old 01-22-2019, 09:14 AM

Depends on the OEM radio. Monsoon? Base?
Different components (speakers) and a much different signal (power and frequency range) to the speakers...

Old 01-22-2019, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Depends on the OEM radio. Monsoon? Base?
Different components (speakers) and a much different signal (power and frequency range) to the speakers...
I have the monsoon system. I upgraded my radio to a alpine car play system. I replaced the front door speakers with some rocksford 6.5 punch (pps4-6 mids) and was going to replace the rear doors with some rocksford T1693 but I stumbled across 2 issues the 4 wire plugs and the housing still attached. I read around about cutting the housing out with a Dremel. Would you recommend replacing the amp as well. I will replace the tweeters as well but after researching looks like I will need some bass blockers for new tweeters.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:59 AM

The Monsoon system in the H3T is much different than the H3.

The rear speakers use the larger 6x8" speaker as a sub-woofer. Therefore it only receives that bandwidth of the audio signal and are separately amplified from the 3" Mid/Tweet.

You will need to procure a 6x8 or 6x9 separates/component set that has an external crossover like the example below. The Mid/High frequency speaker wires from the Monsoon will go to the external crossover input, then from the tweeter output to the tweeter. (this is because the Mid/High frequency from the Monsoon amp will fry a tweeter. The Monsoon amp crossover point for the rear mid/high has too much mid for a normal 1" tweeter)
The Low/Sub frequency speaker wires from the Monsoon will go directly to the woofer.
The low pass side of the external crossover will remain unused. The Monsoon amp already has a crossover for the low pass.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
The Monsoon system in the H3T is much different than the H3.

The rear speakers use the larger 6x8" speaker as a sub-woofer. Therefore it only receives that bandwidth of the audio signal and are separately amplified from the 3" Mid/Tweet.

You will need to procure a 6x8 or 6x9 separates/component set that has an external crossover like the example below. The Mid/High frequency speaker wires from the Monsoon will go to the external crossover input, then from the tweeter output to the tweeter. (this is because the Mid/High frequency from the Monsoon amp will fry a tweeter. The Monsoon amp crossover point for the rear mid/high has too much mid for a normal 1" tweeter)
The Low/Sub frequency speaker wires from the Monsoon will go directly to the woofer.
The low pass side of the external crossover will remain unused. The Monsoon amp already has a crossover for the low pass.

These were purchased already, is there any option of keeping these or replaced them? Rocksford T1693 sorry on phone tried to upload pic.

Last edited by H3Tcanesnation; 01-22-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:12 PM

There are 4 wires going to the rear speakers with the monsoon system, conduct a continuity test on the main speaker's wire, and the other end to the amp.6x9 reusing the old speaker mount.

Last edited by SolidJJ; 01-22-2019 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:16 PM

Might need this, helped me a lot when I redid the whole system.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by H3Tcanesnation

These were purchased already, is there any option of keeping these or replaced them? Rocksford T1693 sorry on phone tried to upload pic.
You can keep them if you want to. You will either have highs and no low end or low end and no highs with those.
Or you can return them and buy component 6x9s as I mentioned above.

If you think about taking the JJ advise above. He has no Monsoon components remaining. He no longer uses the amp or head unit and he is STILL using a separate passive crossover set I mention above.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:23 PM

How can I tell if I have the monsoon or bose system? The original owner replaced the head unit.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by CREH3T
How can I tell if I have the monsoon or bose system? The original owner replaced the head unit.
Best way to see if the Monsoon is still hooked up would be to remove the rear seat. The amp is behind the rear panel on the passenger side.
Easiest way, I guess would be to remove the radio and look at what adapter the PO used to install the new radio. Look up that # and see if the adapter is for base or Monsoon.

I removed the H3T Monsoon Amp and replaced it with an H3 amp and added a sub-woofer (under the rear seat) with the sub channels of the H3 Monsoon Sub.
I run MB Quart Old School Competition 8" separates in the front doors and MB Quart Old School Q Series 8" separates in rear doors (note: some cutting is required to do this mod).
NOTE: I only used the cheap Scotch Lock comnnectors for testing. Everything was stripped, soldered, heat shrunk and aircraft laced for the final installation.

Last edited by TAINTER; 02-20-2019 at 07:32 AM.