PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Spare tire swingaway

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 10:06 PM
Default Spare tire swingaway

So I really dig the H2 rear spare tire gate, and it would be really cool to have and something no one eles has. The only reason I'm thinking like this is my motor pool has a few 1152 2 door with the spare tire gate and to me it looks good. So tell me what do you guy think?

Attached Thumbnails Spare tire swingaway-photo0118.jpg   Spare tire swingaway-carrier2_open_700.jpg  
Old 04-22-2010, 06:48 PM

Are you guys really not going to give me your 2 cents on this thought?

Old 04-22-2010, 08:02 PM

I don't really like it for 2 reasons; first is it is kind of weird to put a swing away on a truck, it detracts from the easy function of the tailgate into a two part chore and you already have a giant box to put the tire in! Second is the H3T is already the longest Hummer they make... you want to make it longer?

you could get a Baja style carrier that replaces your tailgate, those would add that unique bad *** looks to match you H3T.

I did a quick search online, something like this:

Old 04-23-2010, 05:10 PM

I hear you 110% Sugarphreak, but I just love that one of a kind look. I really liked what what your showing me and I may go that way, but come on tell me this is not a bad look.

Attached Thumbnails Spare tire swingaway-photo0120.jpg   Spare tire swingaway-photo0124.jpg   Spare tire swingaway-photo0128.jpg  
Old 04-23-2010, 06:49 PM

I don't know, I just am not feeling it... I like just flipping down my tailgate on a whim, whenever I have used a vehicle with a swing away it deters me from using the hatch. One of the most popular mods for the H2 SUT is to remove the tire carrier that looks like that and mount it somewhere else.

My preference anyway,

I wonder if Gobi offers a roof rack with tire carrier, that would look sharp on the H3T

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 03-11-2015 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:45 PM

I emailed Gobi a couple weeks back and they said they do have a rack with the tire carrier available for the T.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:13 AM

If you want another opinion, I hate spare tires gates. Ever since I started reading crash test results and saw how much damage the spare does to the back end in a rear end collision, I have come to view vehicles with a spare on the rear as poorly thought out design. Most reviews recommend against them for this reason and many vehicles such as the Honda CRV have gone away form spare gates due to customer demand. The only vehicle it looks good on is a Wrangler and that is because they look so bad to start with. Just my opinion.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SolidJJ
So I really dig the H2 rear spare tire gate, and it would be really cool to have and something no one eles has. The only reason I'm thinking like this is my motor pool has a few 1152 2 door with the spare tire gate and to me it looks good. So tell me what do you guy think?
At first I'm thinking wow.. thats kinda gay. Why would you do that to an H3t.

But then I saw your picture of the 1151 and I thought wow. thats actually really sexy and an awesome idea!!

Which motorpool you from? I've been to plenty at bragg

Old 06-24-2010, 04:05 PM

Somewhere I saw a spare tire swingaway attachemnt that uses the hitch reciever but the backup camera would be blocked.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:28 AM

Looks like I'll be the lone standout here - I like the look. I had a hanger on my old Scrambler and that extra BFG looked badass. Expensive decoration but it rounded it out. Sure it may not be the safest way to carry a tire, but burgers aren't the epitome of health either - it just feels right.

If you do find one, post the link here.

Attached Thumbnails Spare tire swingaway-img_2730.jpg.jpg   Spare tire swingaway-img_2731.jpg.jpg  

Quick Reply: Spare tire swingaway