PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

It costs How Much?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 03:58 PM
rsc
Angry It costs How Much?!?

I took my 07 in yesterday to get the oil changed and the (big national) shop gave the suspension a look-over for me (I guess since I had tried to use a store coupon for an oil change/tire rotation they didn't accept?). They gave the keys back with the great news of an estimate of $700+ to change out the r/h inner tie rod that was bad. Well it was going to be $100 to get the alignment after the 1/2 hour of labor to install the $600!!! tie rod end! I was pretty sure I didn't need a new tie rod as I was just recently under the front end looking things over. After declining to have them change it out for me I looked it over again at home and could find nothing wrong- no play, no torn boots, no grease mess. Man, what a crock of- ! I can't believe there are still shops trying to do bad business like that (my ex used to get all those rip-off estimates like 20 years ago). Six hundred dollars for a $50 part? heck, I could get the beefed up Bullet Proof parts for a hair more than those jokers were asking and get the alignment set in the drive for just the cost of a couple of beers and my own free time. Anyone else get a whopper quote for work? on their H3?

Old 02-09-2011, 06:23 PM

That's messed up!! If you're still below 100,000 miles/5yrs it would fall into your drivetrain warranty anyway. When I had mine replaced, I was told that all I had to pay for was the alignment, and I agreed. Then I reminded them that I had a lifetime alignment when I went to pick it up

Old 02-09-2011, 08:05 PM

wow that is messed up - 700 for one tie rod and a alightment lmao i work at dunn tire here in buffalo its $74.95 for a alightment here sounds to me like that shop is a bunch of scammers

Old 02-09-2011, 08:37 PM
rsc

Yeah, $75 is about right for an alignment here too. I could see the $100 if the customer service and business was merited but not if I'm getting ripped off at over 10 times the price of parts! I'm not sure that tie rods fall under the driveline warranty, aren't they considered "wear and tear" parts? Or are you saying that an alignment is covered?

Old 02-09-2011, 08:48 PM

Holy $hit!!! You should go rip them off now... like rip their front door off the hinges!!!

Old 02-09-2011, 08:55 PM

No, I purchased a lifetime alignment and the service tech didn't know that so he said that they would replace the tie rod under warranty if I paid for the alignment, since I had a lifetime I didn't have to pay anything.

They are covered under warranty
Click service and warranty and then click on second question: http://www.hummer.com/hummerjsp/home...av=&country=us

Old 02-09-2011, 09:11 PM

did they atleast buy you a drink first or kiss on your neck?! lol

Old 02-09-2011, 09:27 PM
rsc

Buy me a drink? I didn't even let them get to first base.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:09 PM

I don't trust ANY of the national chain shops. They will try to scam anyone who they think doesn't know any better. Most of thier employees work on commission so the more they bill the more the worker makes.

I brought a Silverado PU in for an oil change a few years ago and the tech comes out after a few minutes and says "Your drain plug won't come out" then he says "But I think I can get it out if I work hard enough at it, but it'll cost you"
I politely told him to GFYS and took my truck. At home I changed the oil myself and the drain plug backed out just fine.

At another shop the tech told me "You better come back here and look at this". He shows me that there is oil dripping all over the front of the engine, and says " make another appointment for next week and I'll tear this down and find the oil leak"
I park in the same spot at work every day & the same spot in my driveway. There is not a spot of oil anywhere. The oil level was always at full on this truck, so I know I wasn't losing any oil. I couldn't prove it but I think he sprayed oil there to look like a leak
He too was told to GFYS.

I now do almost all mantanance work myself and for those things I can't handle, there's a local mom & pop shop that I trust.

Last edited by Bunger; 02-10-2011 at 02:12 PM.