Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   New member with some questions...please help (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/new-member-some-questions-please-help-41473/)

Chubs 06-12-2019 09:56 PM

New member with some questions...please help

Hello, this is my first post!

I'm looking at buying a 2009 H3T alpha, but know almost zero about these trucks. I've been looking for a pickup, stumbled onto these and fell in love. These things are badass!!

Anyway, I have my eye on one that's 1000 miles away. It's loaded and has about 100k miles on it. It looks great, but spent its life up north and has a little rust underneath. Not bad at all, but rust always worries me.

As you know, prices are outrageous for these things, I assume because they're rare and have a following.

I'd like some help understanding what specific Hummer or H3T things I should know about, look for or be careful to avoid. I'm somewhat a gearhead and do almost all my own work, so don't hesitate with details.

What's a good price for a very good condition loaded 2009 H3T with 100k miles? I'm thinking $25k?

Glad to be here! Hope to be an owner soon!

TAINTER 06-13-2019 07:39 AM

My suggestion is to READ, READ, READ anything you can get your hands on regarding the H3 Alpha and H3T Alpha.
Everything is the same from the B pillar forward (H3/H3T).

You are looking @ a 10 year old truck. Treat your search the same way you would as with any 10 year old vehicle. Maintenance is the key to longevity with any vehicle.
If it wasn't maintained for the first 100K you will have issues pop up due to that.

As far as pricing. 2009 H3T Alpha with 100K+ should be about $18K-24K depending on the overall condition, options, etc.
Don't just jump on the first one. Wait until the one you really want pops up and JUMP on it.

Chubs 06-13-2019 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER (Post 361621)
My suggestion is to READ, READ, READ anything you can get your hands on regarding the H3 Alpha and H3T Alpha.
Everything is the same from the B pillar forward (H3/H3T).

You are looking @ a 10 year old truck. Treat your search the same way you would as with any 10 year old vehicle. Maintenance is the key to longevity with any vehicle.
If it wasn't maintained for the first 100K you will have issues pop up due to that.

As far as pricing. 2009 H3T Alpha with 100K+ should be about $18K-24K depending on the overall condition, options, etc.
Don't just jump on the first one. Wait until the one you really want pops up and JUMP on it.

Thanks...I understand and agree with all that. What I'm wondering is if there's any specific problem areas that I should watch out for.

This is an Alpha with every option including the silly headrest screens. I'm seeing comparable H3T's listed in the $26-33k range. This one is $28k....is that reasonable?

TAINTER 06-13-2019 11:27 AM

Remember, that's what they are "ASKING", not what they are selling for.

Post up a link and we will tell you if its worth it or not.

daniiel777 06-14-2019 12:37 PM

Mine was $27k with 78k miles and it’s been an awesome truck I’ve taken it up the Sierra Nevada mountains in blizzards and never had to worry about sliding, I do however recommend to get one with the adventure package with locking differentials. But as stated above do a lot of research. Remember Hummer is not made anymore and while you can get a lot of Oem parts lift kits and aftermarket stuff is almost impossible to find.

Chubs 06-14-2019 05:12 PM

I'm having a local mechanic check it out and send me a detailed report next week. Will be interesting to see the REAL condition

bronxteck 06-14-2019 11:34 PM

things to look for are

broken exhaust manifold bolts and leaking intake manifold gaskets.
/ puffing or loud exhaust sound from engine bay coming from exhaust area
/ intake gasket can cause rough idle sometimes when cold sometimes when hot

rotted fuel pump and lines.
/ this shows up as heavy fuel odors especially at the drivers side passenger door side.

chassis rot.
/self explanatory just need to look under the truck

suspension and steering
/can be many symptoms

bad body bushes.
/truck looks like its leaning a bit, hard to determine clicks or clunks under certain conditions usually caused by rotted washer on bottom of mounts but sounds can also be suspension related

evap system issues like charcoal canister and or purge valve
/ this one manifests itself as the fuel pump nozzle at the gas station keeps clicking off or issues fueling up.

clogged drains, water leaks
/ look for wet carpets or wet headliners near the pillars if left unattended it can cause electrical gremlins usually rusted harness grounding points but can take out modules as well.

bad wheel bearings

Chubs 06-17-2019 07:36 PM

Here's s link to the truck I'm looking at:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...aff=share_text

Thoughts?

bronxteck 06-17-2019 09:00 PM

I would look for chassis rust. it spent its life in the north east. NY, NJ, PA
I would also check out why it has a lean on it and if that lien is satisfied. because if it is not then you are in a world of issues. especially at the price they are asking for it to have the lien holder reposes it on you.

TAINTER 06-18-2019 11:51 AM

Waaay over priced for a NON OffRoad package H3T.
Nice, with relatively low miles but not worth $29,000.