Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Service Manager said i may need a new engine, or...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 02:46 PM
Default Service Manager said i may need a new engine, or...

about $3,500.00 to repair code P0340, the actuators and I was told the timing chain is skipping teeth, not timing with cylinder number one but on cylinder number 3 and she (Service manager) said thats why it will start sometimes and sometimes it wont start because it keeps jumping time.

She said to get to the timing chain, heads need to come off.

Has anyone with a Hummer 3 experienced what the Service Manager at Bob Bell Chevrolet just described?

Old 08-22-2018, 02:51 PM

What im having trouble believing is... she said timing chain is skipping teeth and its searching for cylinder number one to fire, but if it is skipping teeth, then why does it run fine after starting?? its just sometimes it will not start, but when it does start, it runs fine. wouldnt the timing chain keep skipping when driving?? I dont know, hopefully some one here has more knowledge on this.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Get away, far far away from from that Chevy Dealer. A dealership is the LAST place on earth to take an out of warranty vehicle for service.

I never heard of Bob Bell Chevy, but a P0340 is almost always, every time, electrical. I do not know what they have done to look at it for diagnosis, but it basically means your Camshaft Position Sensor is not sending the proper signal to the PCM so it cannot confirm timing. Could be as simple as a dirty sensor, faulty connection, dead sensor, frayed wiring to the sensor, or a short in the sensor circuit. Take it someplace else or learn how to check those things yourself.

If your timing chain was skipping, you could hear it happen. That would be the worst case scenario, not likely.

Do you still have the OEM Battery Terminal Connectors? It could even be as simple as a poor battery connection.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Get away, far far away from from that Chevy Dealer. A dealership is the LAST place on earth to take an out of warranty vehicle for service.

I never heard of Bob Bell Chevy, but a P0340 is almost always, every time, electrical. I do not know what they have done to look at it for diagnosis, but it basically means your Camshaft Position Sensor is not sending the proper signal to the PCM so it cannot confirm timing. Could be as simple as a dirty sensor, faulty connection, dead sensor, frayed wiring to the sensor, or a short in the sensor circuit. Take it someplace else or learn how to check those things yourself.

If your timing chain was skipping, you could hear it happen. That would be the worst case scenario, not likely.

Do you still have the OEM Battery Terminal Connectors? It could even be as simple as a poor battery connection.
thanks for replying, it seems this chevy service dept wants to cause me to believe the engine needs to be replaced for $7,500.00, trying to convince me the timing chain is skipping until it finds cylinder number one,or have them tear it apart and rebuild for 3,500.00 . but it didn't make sense because i thought if it as bad as the timing chain slipping on the teeth, surely some other indication would take place after it starts. but once it starts, it runs great.

i replaced the negative terminal connector, it was bad but the positive is still good.

I cant believe these dealerships are continuosly legally permitted to take advantage or lie to get more cash out of a vehicle owner., without them facing any serious consequences becausee it is theft tricking someone to pay for something they don't need..

Old 08-23-2018, 06:28 AM

P0340 = Intake CMP Sensor Circuit, electrical, most likely the sensor or wiring to the sensor.

Old 08-23-2018, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
P0340 = Intake CMP Sensor Circuit, electrical, most likely the sensor or wiring to the sensor.
bob bell Chevrolet started with the new engine sales pitch, then seen i wasnt buying into it, they went down to a 3,500.00 engine rebuild, saying they wont know if the valves are bad either until they tear it apart, yet, the valves dont tap, there is no smoke burning out exhaust....

Old 08-23-2018, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
i forgot, they also said on star gives general codes. the p0340 is a generic code they said.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:23 AM

Give us the real codes from a code reader plugged into the OBD port.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

D Austin, you have a 2006. Have you ever checked to see if your Vin# falls in the range for the trucks built with the early head with the potentially defective valve seats?

That may explain why the Chevy Dealer is trying to over sell you???

Here is a cut & paste from a post of mine back from 2009 so don't bother calling GM:
"The S/Ns affected is any 2006 H3 lower than 287591 .... the first one started with 100,001, your truck build date will be Nov. 06 or earlier. Not all have the problem, but some could. The head issue affected not only the I5, 4s and 6s were subject to the same issues. Call GM with your vin# and build date (from the sticker in the driver's door jam) and ask.

Just in case you're gonna say, wow they didn't even build that many 3s? The VINs are assigned at the same shreveport plant building Colorados and Canyons. Their VIN sequence unit #s are mixed in and subject to the same TSB re: the head/valve issue.

The recall and extended warranty was for very early 2006s, those with the 3.5L L52 Motors built before March 31, 2006. That is not to say some 3.7L LLRs have never had a valve or head issue. All the Atlas motors built since 4/1/06 have the new hardened valve seats."

Old 08-24-2018, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
D Austin, you have a 2006. Have you ever checked to see if your Vin# falls in the range for the trucks built with the early head with the potentially defective valve seats?

That may explain why the Chevy Dealer is trying to over sell you???

Here is a cut & paste from a post of mine back from 2009 so don't bother calling GM:
"The S/Ns affected is any 2006 H3 lower than 287591 .... the first one started with 100,001, your truck build date will be Nov. 06 or earlier. Not all have the problem, but some could. The head issue affected not only the I5, 4s and 6s were subject to the same issues. Call GM with your vin# and build date (from the sticker in the driver's door jam) and ask.

Just in case you're gonna say, wow they didn't even build that many 3s? The VINs are assigned at the same shreveport plant building Colorados and Canyons. Their VIN sequence unit #s are mixed in and subject to the same TSB re: the head/valve issue.

The recall and extended warranty was for very early 2006s, those with the 3.5L L52 Motors built before March 31, 2006. That is not to say some 3.7L LLRs have never had a valve or head issue. All the Atlas motors built since 4/1/06 have the new hardened valve seats."
ill look into this, thanks

Quick Reply: Service Manager said i may need a new engine, or...