Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   H3T Snowbear snow plow mount (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/h3t-snowbear-snow-plow-mount-34625/)

ACCLR8N 01-21-2015 06:03 PM

H3T Snowbear snow plow mount

4 Attachment(s)
Never found any good pictures of a plow mount. Thought I would post up what I ended up doing. 3-1/2" angle iron bolted to the front crossmember using longer control arm bolts and the steering rack bolt. There are also two straps going to the frame to help carry the weight when the blade is lifted.

If anybody cares, I can provide more details

hum4me 01-21-2015 08:41 PM

Nice Job

TAINTER 01-22-2015 09:15 AM

Plows should be mounted to the frame not a front differential crossmember.
You will soon find this out. Hopefully not the hard and very expensive way.

nice work , but ....

ACCLR8N 01-23-2015 11:35 AM

That is the front crossmember that is welded part of the chassis/frame. Not the second bolt-in one that mounts the differential.

TAINTER 01-25-2015 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by ACCLR8N (Post 322037)
That is the front crossmember that is welded part of the chassis/frame. Not the second bolt-in one that mounts the differential.

I can see and know what you are using and I still stand by my previous statement that it is not a good idea to put that much force on the crossmember alone.

Take a look at how the mounts for IFS rigs are done by the large plow manufacturers (Boss, Western, etc). They use the FRAME first with multiple mounts to it then they use the crossmember as a secondary point. Hey if you want to mess up your crossmember by putting the entire force of a plow to it be my guest!

ACCLR8N 02-05-2015 08:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Seem to do most my plowing in the dark. Had a chance to get a picture of it in the daylight yesterday.

Happy Hummer 04-09-2015 12:17 AM

Nice. I personally would offer more attachment points just for safety sake but very nice 1st attempt.
Did it perform this winter?
What do you feel were it's strong points?
Equally weak points?
As stated nicely executed.

Chris

ACCLR8N 04-09-2015 06:44 AM

Additional fasteners are not necessary for this plow the way this is mounted. This may be my first H3, but it is the fifth plow mount I've made. I grew up breaking and repairing farm equipment. Made trailer hitches. Modified suspensions for muscle cars and various lifted 4x4s. I make my living designing FMVSS regulated automotive products concept, FEA and testing to failure. Sorry for the resume rant, but I have a pretty good feel for wrecking steel.
Yes, had no issues with it this winter. Was easy to mount and remove.
Strong points are that it is tucked up nice to the truck and lacks the severe cantilevered loads that are typical with most mounts. There is not a large moment arm trying to twist it off the frame. No modifications to the truck.
Weak points are that the front skid plate has to be left off for the winter. Worst issue is that the mount has to be removed to do an oil change since it is over top of the rear skid plate.

Thanks