PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3T Power Steering (5cyl)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 07:54 PM
Default H3T Power Steering (5cyl)

So my steering pump basically blew up, but I started connecting some dots recently and after hearing about no less than 4 other people with H3T's having the exact same problem.

The 5cyl H3T does not have the same power steering as the 5cyl H3... it is actually the higher capacity pump found on the V8 (see quote).

With an identical view from the driver seat as the H3, you would be hard-pressed to know you were driving the longer and larger T. Thanks to a higher-capacity steering pump from the V-8 on all models and a quicker steering ratio, the H3T drives almost exactly like the H3 over just about any road, save for situations requiring tight turns where the 134-inch wheelbase becomes a bit of a liability. Interestingly, the T only weighs a couple hundred pounds more than the SUV, and because of unique suspension tuning, the added heft doesn't seem to come in to play in everyday driving.
In all cases high RPM's caused internals of the pump to overheat and it stopped working.

Thinking about this logically for a minute I started to realize that the V8 does not rev nearly as high as the 3.7L 5cyl (not by a huge margin, but still... a bit) Is it possible that the power steering pump provided with the H3T is not able to handle the higher RPM's?

Just wondering how many people out there are having power steering problems with their T's. I would assume that Manual transmissions may especially be affected as you can squeeze more RPM's out of the engine than an auto.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-16-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:06 PM
Banned

I'm one of those people. But I dont have a T. I was stuck for 4 hours in a hole, and like a dummy I didn't give the truck a break and kept going. After about 3.5 hours, the ps pump finally gave out. After all was said and done, there was no fluid left in it. I replaced the fluid, it was still dead.

Dealership said it died of internal injuries (still talking about the power steering pump), and had to replace something. Works great now. Just dont crank on it for 4 hours when stuck lol.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:44 PM

I think I have read about 5 people now with the H3T, more specifically with the 5cyl that have blown the power steering pump so far.

Considering it only started it's production life in 2009 this has to be some kind of defect.