Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Encoder/ actuator motor replacement

Old 06-06-2019, 05:35 PM
Default Encoder/ actuator motor replacement

Does the encoder/actuator motor for the four-wheel-drive transfer case need to be programmed or is there any special way to install the motor thanks in advance

Old 06-07-2019, 08:59 AM

No Programming, make sure both the encoder and Tcase are in 4HI unlocked before mating them.

Old 06-07-2019, 03:50 PM

Sorry I’m new to the hummer what do you mean by 4 high unlock right now it currently won’t move out of that standard all wheel drive mode when I push the for high button it just flashes if I reset it for the code reader it will let me put it in if I’m in park

Old 06-08-2019, 08:21 AM

I appreciate the answer Tainter I just also read about putting the transmission in neutral so I’m just getting mixed answers

Old 06-10-2019, 09:27 AM

Why the Funk would you need the transmission in neutral!!!!
I read about some guy with a spinning spider monkey on his dick but I used "common scene" and did not do that either.

The transmission is an independent entity of the transfer case. Set the Tcase control to 4 HI unlocked, turn off truck, disconnect battery, block at least 2 opposite tires, crawl under the H3, remove the wire connector to the encoder, remove 3 bolts on the encoder, replace the old encoder with new encoder. install 3 bolts back into the encoder, reinstall the harness, reconnect battery, turn key forward, test the new encoder by switching from 4 HI unlocked to 4 Hi Locked several times.

If you are not sure what 4 HI unlocked is you shouldn't be replacing Sheet on your H3.

If you can NOT get out of 4 HI unlocked, it's probably not the encoder. It's going to be a shift fork issue 90% of the time.

Last edited by TAINTER; 06-10-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:13 AM

Thanks tainter I was just getting mixed answers from different people in different forms putting it in neutral not putting it in neutral leaving and park yours is the best answer and I really appreciate it I thank you very much only reason I have a question on the four high on lock was whether or not to actuate the switch or manually put it in for high once the encoder motor was out it will go into 4high once I start it and I push the four high button but it will not do it on the fly

Old 06-12-2019, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Baja
...it it will go into 4high once I start it and I push the four high button but it will not do it on the fly
Keep in mind that the H3 transfer case will not switch from 4 HI to 4 HI Lock (or back) if you are driving faster than 45mph.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Baja
Thanks tainter I was just getting mixed answers from different people in different forms putting it in neutral not putting it in neutral leaving and park yours is the best answer and I really appreciate it I thank you very much only reason I have a question on the four high on lock was whether or not to actuate the switch or manually put it in for high once the encoder motor was out it will go into 4high once I start it and I push the four high button but it will not do it on the fly
No problem, Sorry about the monkey stuff.
I just get frustrated with all of the bad and incorrect information on Bookface/social media. No forum said neutral.

Please, use punctuation. It's very had to know when a sentence ends and a new one starts.

"If you can NOT get out of 4 HI unlocked, it's probably not the encoder. It's going to be a shift fork issue 90% of the time."

Old 06-21-2019, 06:56 AM

Change the encoder motor, it still won’t go into four high while moving ,It will only go to foru high when I first start the truck and it’s in park . Any suggestions

Old 06-21-2019, 08:12 AM

Shift fork!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Encoder/ actuator motor replacement