PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 ticking engine noise please help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 05:17 PM
Default 5.3 ticking engine noise please help.

i just bought an H3T alpha and it comes with a 5.3. when i am driving at low speeds when no noise around me like in a sub and i am between 1000 to 2000 rpm i hear a noise that sounds like a panies in an engine, its not a misfire and its not a sparknock as these will throw a check engine lite. and its not a rodnok its so low that you have to open the window and really listen to it. if i let go of the gas it goes away. i took it to the dealer and the machanic cant find anything or hear ANYTHING. if any one has an alpha H3 can you listen closely to your engine why doing what i do.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:37 PM

I used to have an Alpha and mine always had a small tick...I think it's normal for the Alphas......but I'm not 100% positive

Old 08-22-2009, 07:38 PM
jcg

I have an 09 5.3 alpha. I checked it out and can here a small click with the window down at low speeds with mild acceleration. I dont think its anything to worry about... That is if we are hearing the same thing.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:12 PM

I have a 06 3.5L and took it in to the dealer for the same sound. It's like a ticking sound that increases with acceleration. And it's on the drivers side too. The dealer did not find anything and said every engine sounds a little different. I'm still under warranty and would like to repair any "known" issues before it's too late.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:19 PM

check for exhaust manifold bolts that may be broken or missing. I remember reading somewhere that someone had to have that done.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:11 PM

Thanks Solarflare. As expected, the dealer did not hear anything abnormal. I'm having a new sub-woofer replaced this week, I'll mention the exhaust manifold then and see what they say.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:18 PM

did you look at the tires for a rock?

Old 09-17-2009, 05:21 PM

There called ROCKER ARMS most v8s have a rocker arm tick and on the I-5 you have cam followers. Did you Change your oil at 500 miles after the break in period? Use the correct weight 5w30 maybe go synthetic. Stay away from north eastern brands of oil they have a hi sulpher content so they get dirty faster Qstate, Sunoco, Penzoil etc.., go with a TX or CA area brand Haviloline, Chevron, Valvoline,.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:14 AM

the rocker arm tick is nomally caused by low oil......the cam followers are on any overhead camed engine that can and does inclued some V8's.Most V8's have an overhead valve but so do the 2.3L, 2.5L, 4cyl, 292,250,262,230 inline 6,305,4.3L & 2.8L V6 chevy's ....what?? where did you get that info i have been in motorsports ALL my live and have never heard of that about the oil manufacture's.Q-state and Penzoil are two of the better brands, but its all dependant on the individuals prefrences. Stay away from reblends and go with a top quality synthetic they are just as good if not better then an organic blend oil!

Last edited by canuckZr2; 09-24-2009 at 01:17 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:54 AM

I have checked all these thing you guys told me and none of these related to that noise

Also oils do not matter in brands, as long as GM recommends GFS4 (you will find that on the back of the oil quart) and my truck takes 5w-30, you can use any oil with 5w-30.

all the top brands have been tested by GM on all their engines and the engine wear and oil consumption and velocity are the same.

Why I know this because I am a engine test cell operator

If anyone has an alpha V8 please H3 or H3T please pay attention at this noise because there is a team of problem solving engineers that need to know about other H3s

Quick Reply: 5.3 ticking engine noise please help.