PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Wire / electrical short in speakers and tv

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 03:10 PM
Unhappy Wire / electrical short in speakers and tv

I have a 2007 Hummer H3 and I've started to experience a variety of electrical problems. My speakers shorted out and are basically not working except on the front right side at all. The truck came with factory installed TV's in the seats and there appears to be a short underneath the seat. You can wiggle some wires and the tv will come on but almost immediately goes off again

I went to a local garage and they said it could get expensive as they have to just start trying to trace the problem. Wish I could find a mechanic familiar with this car who would know what to look for.

Has anyone experienced this with their H3? does it sound like new speakers are needed? Do I have to replace entire tv system if there is a short?

Thanks!

KML-H3

Old 04-10-2014, 03:56 PM

If your not familiar with wiring diagrams and diagnosis you can take it to a GM dealer (private mechanic is much cheaper).
Im not too sure in the US, but in Canada its anywhere from 0.5 to 1.0 hour diagnosis time. Then repair time on top.
Since you say you can wiiggle the wires and it will work, your components must be fine. So the repair shouldnt cost much.
Good luck

Old 04-10-2014, 11:05 PM
Default "shorted out"

a term used in lieu of actual real info! shorts blow fuses usually.
speakers ; some may be blown or open. the tv may have loose connections showing up when you move them. so look close at the wires as you wiggle them,pull,push the connectors.

check the speakers with an ohm meter or have it done.
unplugged, they read 5-8 ohms typically.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:18 AM

thanks Happy!

The wiring for the tv goes under the carpet, I can't see any connectors, thought of that too. I don't have diagrams for the tv system but I'm sure I do for the speakers.

Think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and just take it in...

Old 04-11-2014, 08:22 AM

Thanks Rick
Yes, dealer labor is extortionist but you do have the advantage of superior knowledge. It's hard to weigh which option is best. I have had a lot of electrical issues pop up in the last year. My heater stopped working, same thing - I could wiggle wires and it would start up. Now it works except for when you turn it up to highest setting and then it shuts off. It feels like this is a weak spot in H3's as all 3 issues could be a lot of time to troubleshoot.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

Your door speakers are toast, you need new ones, don't bother with chasing a "short". The OEM speakers are crap, and sooner or later they quit.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:59 PM

Thanks Doc Olds...sounds like Crutchfield is the place to go...any recos for replacements?

Old 04-11-2014, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

I went with 6.5" Pioneer 3 ways, mounted in XTC 6.5" foam baffles after I put Dynamat in the bottom of the doors. They sound much better than the OEMs.

Name:  DSCN0348.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  71.3 KB

Name:  DSCN0349.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  56.6 KB
OEM on the Left
Name:  DSCN0354.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  70.6 KB

Basically, a 6.5" will fit but they are almost too small to span the door hole, 6.75" would be better but there are less choices in that size, and you can go up to a 7" in most speakers and they will still fit. Some peeps have put in 8" rounds by modifying the door hole and trimming some plastic on the back side of the door panel.