PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winshield cracked in my driveway

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 12:40 PM
Default Winshield cracked in my driveway

Hello all,

I live in the Salt Lake City area and last week we had over 100 degree temperatures. I had my hummer 3 parked in my driveway and was detailing my wheels. Whenever I am not driving or detailing my vehicle I keep it garaged.

Well after detailing my car I washed the wheels off with a water hose and I got a little water on the hood and possibly the winshield. I went inside to grab a drink of water and came back out and my winshield split right down the center vertically from top to bottom. This happened while in the driveway - I could not believe my eyes.I was feeling that this was kind of cheesy for my window to split like it did. I know it was a hot day, but wow!! to split like that?

I called the local Hummer dealership and they pretty much blew me off (I plan to talk to a different GM dealers in my area to see what they say). Is this under warranty or am I stuck with forking out money to get a new windshield. I just exceeded 13,000 miles on my hummer last month. The crack is directly between the driver and passenger side so does not get in the way. Personally if windows like this crack so easy I am not sure I want to get it fixed any time soon unless a warranty situation would pay for it. Otherwise I will wait to be forced to have it replaced on my annual vehicle inspection and see what they say.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

HummerDriver

Old 07-10-2007, 01:17 PM
Default RE: Winshield cracked in my driveway

i've seen water split windshields on other cars, so it's not completely out of the ordinary. see if your state requires car insurance companies to cover full replacement cost of windshield with cracks in the "line of sight".

Old 07-10-2007, 01:23 PM

It happens..Check the whole length of the crack and I betcha you'll find a stone chip..If you don't it should be covered by the warranty.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

I was unlucky enough to split a window once in my Ford.... it happens.... not just on windshields... take a gallon ice tea jug that you just made sun tea with and put in in the refrigerator.... once again that was something I just learned once...

Old 07-10-2007, 01:59 PM

they wont cover it, i have already tried,

Old 07-10-2007, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

There are forum members here who have had their windshields replaced by the dealer for FREE because of issues like this. I don't know if it was technically under warranty as the dealer may have done it as a service to it's customers, but one person specifically had it replaced because it was getting knicked up so quickly from road debris, and told them they would do it again if need be. I remember this specifically because my windshield is knicked up pretty bad as well, but since I have 40k miles on mine, I didn't think it really would have been something they would do. I would call around to the different Hummer dealers as you said and see what they say.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:46 PM

I checked the windshield and there is absolutely no rock chip anywhere. A few months ago I had a rock hit my windshield and it left a grain size nick - left a surface blemish at best.

I took that to a windshield repair shop that specializes rock chips and they said it wasn't anything to worry about because it was too small and could not spread. That is the biggest blemish I have on my windshield and this one is on the driver side about 15 inches away from the windshield crack. I drive the long and slower way to work vs. getting on the highway just so that I don't gethit by arock.

I will try checking out a few more dealerships undestanding it would be a courtesy. However, I have a good friend that works in the service department for a Chrysler dealership who said they typically replace winshields under warrantythat have no evidence of rock chips when the vehicle is under 12k. Sometimes they do it past 12k also, but in these cases he says the dealership gets paid for it.

Who knows maybe with the windshield the way it is I won't care about using the freeway to go to work.

Thanks

Old 07-11-2007, 04:53 AM

ORIGINAL: HummerDriver

I checked the windshield and there is absolutely no rock chip anywhere. A few months ago I had a rock hit my windshield and it left a grain size nick - left a surface blemish at best.

I took that to a windshield repair shop that specializes rock chips and they said it wasn't anything to worry about because it was too small and could not spread. That is the biggest blemish I have on my windshield and this one is on the driver side about 15 inches away from the windshield crack. I drive the long and slower way to work vs. getting on the highway just so that I don't gethit by arock.

I will try checking out a few more dealerships undestanding it would be a courtesy. However, I have a good friend that works in the service department for a Chrysler dealership who said they typically replace winshields under warrantythat have no evidence of rock chips when the vehicle is under 12k. Sometimes they do it past 12k also, but in these cases he says the dealership gets paid for it.

Who knows maybe with the windshield the way it is I won't care about using the freeway to go to work.

Thanks
It was do to the HEAT. I saw several Cadillacs (usually black) at my GM dealer where front and rear windows shattered by heat. The dealer replaced them all under warranty. Your service guy was a dic.[:@]