PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Why is installing alarm/remote start so hard

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 08:10 PM
Default Why is installing alarm/remote start so hard

I just recently bought an 2007 H3..all black...black powder coated wheels...black leather with gray piping.. and I want to get a car alarm and remote start installed. I have heard the craziness of installing on a 2007 H3 and having alot of issues. Took my H3 to a reputable, reliable, and referred Car Place nearby and after 5 hours of working on it..it still isnt right. He said he needed different modules and bypass equipment. The H3 now has the alarm (Prestige AP*&???) which is working fine but the factory door lock/unlock interferes and also has to be used with the Prestige. No remote start as of yet b/c he needed to figure out the first issue before continuing.

Can anybody tell me ALL of the bypass/modules I will need for this alarm so I can stay on top of my installer for Monday?

Anything like model #s and names will be helpful...resistors/modules/bypass

Old 06-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Banned
Default years ago,,,

i installed them on a few of my cars. it was not ez finding all the wires.

the h3 is very complex, like just the key in/out.

so i figger if i guy is not a hummer eng and gets it working,,somehow,,,GOD help you when something else goes wrong with elect, AND they ask you about "all this extra wiring", and you're stuck.! and u turn the key, again and again,,,

some stuff im not messin with

tom

Old 06-13-2010, 09:04 PM

I just traded a 07 H3 for a 08 H3 Alpha, and I decided I wanted Remote Start. I really don't need an alarm because I park in a garage, ect....

In any event, let me pass on what I was told by the Install Guy at Best Buy.

Ok, after much deliberation I decided to go with VSS4000 from Viper

What that is, is the Viper Smart Start Module (for starting with Iphone) and a Viper 5101 Remote Start system.

OK, the guy at Best Buy was very Knowledgeable and told me up front that H3's were not easy to install Remote Starts on, so he called Direct Electronics, the manufacture of the System and talked with a Tech person, turns out H3's will not work with the suggested interface/module (they will work but they will ultimately have issues,) so Direct suggested a sort of Homemade interface that the guy was able to create with some resistors and what not. In the end it was cheaper, and I have the warranty from Best Buy if it ever does F up.

I suggest you have your install guy call the maker of your system and see if there are any known issues with their systems and Hummer H3's. They might have a Tech bulletin on it he can share with you.

It was 100 degrees here in the South today and I have a small baby, it certainly pays for itself when I can take her from the house to the car and it not be sauna in there.

FYI the Smart Start is cool but really just a novelty, it takes about 30sec to 1 min to unlock so I tend to keep my Key Remote in my pocket anyway.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:49 AM
Banned
Default Homemade interface that the guy was able to create with some resistors and what not.

lets see, a baby, 100 degrees,and tinkering with electrical in a complex,,,

when i fixed a loose gas cover i noticed a lot of space around the filler pipe.

i'd stash a hammer there,,,just in case,,

tom