PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Who's afraid of a Rubicon??

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 08:58 PM
Default Who's afraid of a Rubicon??

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....ticle_id=10776

Quote:
The idea for this test was sparked by the Hummer public-relaters, who swore their H3 was to off-roading what a Daisy Cutter is to Fourth of July firecrackers. “Only a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon can beat us,” they boasted, “and we don’t compete with that.”

[sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Old 03-22-2006, 10:58 PM
Default RE: Who's afraid of a Rubicon??

Rubicon has a locker front and rear so yes it has more traction and the shorter wheelbase helps too. Still would rather have the H3. With a family safety in an accident is more of a concern than traction and the Rubicon is about as safe as a paper bag.

Old 03-23-2006, 12:30 AM

ORIGINAL: skeeet

Rubicon has a locker front and rear so yes it has more traction and the shorter wheelbase helps too. Still would rather have the H3. With a family safety in an accident is more of a concern than traction and the Rubicon is about as safe as a paper bag.
Good Point..I never really looked at it like that..Everyone is always comparing the brute off road capabilities, and never the on road refinement....You're right, with the H3 you get the WHOLE package.

Old 03-23-2006, 02:19 AM

I agree that the H3 has the whole package. I was considering the Rubicon and the Xterra. I crossed the Rubicon off as I need safety and I would hate to get into an accident in the Rubicon. The Xterra is too ugly to be seen in though it is a solid performer. The Xterra interior looks as bad as the exterior, total plastic and cheap looking plastic at that. Has a great engine, though you will need to change that timimg belt for $400 - $500 at 50 or 60k miles. In my opinion it does not feel as stable on the highway as the H3.
I live at 5500 feet elevation and to me the power level of the H3 is acceptable. Sure it is not as fast as the Xterra but if I want fast I drive my Z06- everything feels slow compared to that so maybe that is why the Xterra's extra power is no big deal to me. I get more stares in the H3 than in the Z06- something I can do without.

Old 03-23-2006, 03:32 AM

They open the article talking about the trails they'll be on and how this is a test of off road vehicles, yet give the H3 last place because of it's power on the road. [sm=loser.gif]

These car rags never cease to amaze me. Like the comparison done between the Z06 and M3 a couple of years back. Every single test they did on both vehicles was based on performance and the Z06 took every category, yet they gave it second place because it didn't have a backseat. [sm=chairshot.gif]

Old 03-26-2006, 01:52 PM

The Rubicon does CURRENTLY have an advantage right now with the front locker. AM General is testing a package for the H3 that will include a front locker, new intake and exhaust, and a quick release on the sway bar for more suspension articulation. It will be an ordered option as well as sold through the Hummer parts dept.