PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is needed to be able to install 35 inch tires.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 04:13 PM
Default What is needed to be able to install 35 inch tires.

I have a 2008 hummer h3 alpha and would like to install 20 inch wheels with 35 inch tires. What do I need to check to see if this would clear and not rub. It looks like the truck has some type of lift not sure if from the dealer or if alphas are normally higher. If I need a lift kit can you post a link to the place that sells them.

Old 09-08-2017, 02:56 AM

They should clear without a lift, and there is no lift kits commercially available anymore. you may need to level it by cranking the front torsion bars just to bring the front level with the back.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by jmoffatt
They should clear without a lift, and there is no lift kits commercially available anymore. you may need to level it by cranking the front torsion bars just to bring the front level with the back.
do you think they will run when turning?

Old 09-08-2017, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by daniel5455
do you think they will run when turning?
rub not run

Old 09-08-2017, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Everybody and their cousin's brother has 35s on stock H3s, they were intentionally designed to accommodate 35s w/o modification. They were not factory options because of fleet fuel economy standards.

They might, could rub the sway bar, but ONLY when at full turn lock. Solution, when driving, do not turn that far unless navigating an off road obstacle.

IMHO, forget the 20" rimz.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:31 PM

You will need to keep the back spacing of your 20" rimz as close to stock as possible to avoid rubbing the outer portion of the fenders.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Everybody and their cousin's brother has 35s on stock H3s, they were intentionally designed to accommodate 35s w/o modification. They were not factory options because of fleet fuel economy standards.

They might, could rub the sway bar, but ONLY when at full turn lock. Solution, when driving, do not turn that far unless navigating an off road obstacle.

IMHO, forget the 20" rimz.

I agree..... The H3 is just the right size that any larger tire gives it the right look . 20" rims may cause issues with rubbing.
I have 18" with 31's , the front is cranked up a couple of inches as mentioned earlier and this alone is enough to make a difference.
Just last week I parked next to one with stock rims, you can see difference in photo. Sits higher than the stock set up without having to go to 20" rims and 35's. Don't think I would go any bigger personally, for fear of losing performance .

Old 09-12-2017, 03:05 PM

20 is a nice wheel size to upgrade to
35's will fit with no issue.
I am rolling on 33's with 20's and next time will get a bit of a bigger tire.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:52 AM
Default Little lift

Sorry about using this post. I want to lift my 2009 H3T also. However I never really go off reading. It's just a look I want. As of now I have 285/75R-16. Pretty much stock. I would like to go to a slightly larger tire and wheel. Raise it up slightly just for looks. I know what torsion bars are but don't have a clue how to adjust. Also don't know what OEM keys are
Please give me some suggestion. Will post picks before and after
Thanks

Old 09-15-2017, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sweetlou
Sorry about using this post. I want to lift my 2009 H3T also. However I never really go off reading. It's just a look I want. As of now I have 285/75R-16. Pretty much stock. I would like to go to a slightly larger tire and wheel. Raise it up slightly just for looks. I know what torsion bars are but don't have a clue how to adjust. Also don't know what OEM keys are
Please give me some suggestion. Will post picks before and after
Thanks
All you need to know about T Bar keys is: your truck already has a set that will allow you to adjust the front to as much lift as it can handle without tearing chit up.

Check out this link to an old thread in the FAQ section. The max you should consider is 23.6" fender lip to hub center.
https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...ics-how-11428/

How to adjust: get a LONG handles ratchet or breaker bar, use a 1 1/16" socket, and tighten the T Bar key bolts. You need not worry about how many turns, more important to measure.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask in a new thread in the H3 or H3T
section.

Quick Reply: What is needed to be able to install 35 inch tires.