PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

How to prepare and what to expect....Silver Lake Dunes

Old 07-10-2012, 05:56 PM
Default How to prepare and what to expect....Silver Lake Dunes

We are taking a trip to Michigan next week and our first stop is going to be Silver Lake Dunes. This will be the first time doing anything off road in the truck and I was wondering if there is anything to do to prepare. In a couple of older posts there was a little info regarding 10-13 psi, traction control off, a good air compressor to refill, and a flag. Is there anything else that I should do/bring? I do not have any tow ropes and I was thinking about bringing an extra air filter (if needed otherwise save it). Also, any recommendations for driving around with the wife and kids? Hopefully its not too packed on a Monday!

Thanks.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

On a Monday you should pretty much have the whole place to yourself unless there is some kind of group outing going on.

The key to the dunes is all about tire PSI, make sure you do go down, way down, to like 11-13 PSI. I would not worry about an air compressor, the park has refill stations, the Silver Lake General Store has pay (like .50 cents) refill stations, and a couple other businesses do as well. I would invest in a tow strap and a couple 3/4" shackles.

The other key is to run Hi-Lock and turn off your traction control/StabiliTrack (look at page 4-11 of your manual) by holding the TC button for 5 seconds until the DIC displays STAB SYS OFF. Remember that every time you shut off the truck the TC/ST comes back on by default, shut it OFF in the sand! It is OK and desirable to have some tire spin in deep loos sand, otherwise the TC/ST will be applying break and you will loose momentum and get stuck on inclines. Forget about low (and locking the diff if you have a locker) sand is about momentum and plenty of throttle. You will find your H3 can go anywhere.

Last, if you are climbing a dune and you fail to maintain momentum, when the truck stops, get OUT of the throttle, so you can back down the hill. If you stay in the gas when you come to a stop you will just bury it and be belly down waiting for somebody to tow strap you.

Finally, if you are up for a 15-20 minute ride to check out an out of the way public beach, check out Cedar Point Park on the way north to Pentwater, cool but long set of stairs through the woods lead down to Lake MI, one of our favorites, and free! Heck, check out a light house while you are at it.

Enjoy the trip!!
Name:  DSC01870.jpg
Views: 2159
Size:  183.4 KB

Old 07-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Ooops, forgot to add, stay out of what you think is just a big puddle, some of them can eat your entire truck!!!

You are also going to need an ORV sticker, but you can buy them right at the park.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:20 PM

Thanks Doc I really appreaciate all of the info. I found Silver Lake Buggy Rentals - Home and it looks like a one stop shop for permits, flags, and mounting. I can't wait and will make sure to go lock-hi with traction off. I'll check into Cedar Park beach. Thanks again!

Old 07-11-2012, 11:54 PM

Have fun!!! I love those dunes, and Doc gave you all the right info.

There's BIG hills to climb if you want to try, just be careful on the way down backwards if you don't make the top...slow, wheels straight, lots of brakes, put the trans in reverse, ease it back down. Go too fast, and a little sideways & you'll roll...so be cool, take it slow!

Otherwise, there's easy routes to the lakeshore if you want, bring a canopy/tent, make a landing spot on the beach, then you can go play from there.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:34 AM

I did 20psi in my 305 tires and it worked well. Takes forever to leak them down that far. Took me 3 tries to make it over test hill (the first big hill in your left entering the park) Had to hit it at 50+mph. Even with the Traction and Stability systems off, there is a power interference somewhere. Like it will not let you bury your tires even if you tried. Sucks.. Must be torque managmemt or something.

stick to following the fence line around the dunes to save yourself from oncoming traffic, steep unexpected drop offs, etc. it inly takes a few extra mph to put you on your oid going over a steep hill. look at some youtube vids of dune accidents, there us a good one of an H3 going too fast, buries the front bumper and passengers probably eat dashboard.

These trucks are NOT heavy duty, remember that.

I clamped my flag to a front tow hook with large vicegrips.. Could use a big c clamp, might be better.

Last edited by AutoRoc; 07-12-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AutoRoc
I did 20psi in my 305 tires and it worked well. Takes forever to leak them down that far. Took me 3 tries to make it over test hill (the first big hill in your left entering the park) Had to hit it at 50+mph. Even with the Traction and Stability systems off, there is a power interference somewhere. Like it will not let you bury your tires even if you tried. Sucks.. Must be torque managmemt or something.
Honesty, that is because you did not air down far enough. 20PSI is too much for all sand, makes your motor and trans work too hard. Next time try it at 12, you will see a significant difference.

I have been doing the dunes since the 1970s, long before the voucher system. We used to drive up the night before, get in the long "PARTY line" for the entrance and wait until the park opened.

To air down quickly, use a valve core extractor (at Napa about $3.00, also buy 4-6 cores in case you loose one) and remove the valve stem core...... after about 35 seconds or so the valve stem will start to whistle, the whistle is 16PSI, so let it go a bit further, and then screw back in the core. Check the PSI. I won't run Silver lake with anything more than 13PSI, I prefer 12 in the front, 11 in the rears.
Name:  DSC01477.jpg
Views: 1613
Size:  67.9 KB

The largest first dune is about 30-35 MPH at about half way, then throttle to the floor when you get to the steep stuff until right at the top, then out of the gas and crest.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:14 PM

yes, go down to 12PSI on the dunes! big difference!

Old 07-12-2012, 04:38 PM

Listen to the Doc!

You'll hardly notice 20PSI... You need 12 or so on soft sand (lot of that in Arabia). Make sure traction control is properly off, ie hold down the button for 5 seconds or so... And remember that if you stop and then restart ignition you'll have to turn off traction control again. And 4 hi lock should be on. You shouldn't need to be flying over dunes really fast... With aired down tyres you can go a sensible speed as you have more grip so don't need as much momentum.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:44 PM

Thanks for all of the responses. I'm looking forward to the trip and we are camping at the State Park which should give us plenty of time for play. I just need to pick up the tow straps and valve remover and we should be good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to prepare and what to expect....Silver Lake Dunes