PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Weak RKE

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by LifeIsGood
Finally had some time to investigate further. Found the antenna. Connectors look clean. Out of desperation, changed batteries in remotes again to no avail. Talked to folks at Carquest, AutoZone with no success. Beginning to think I might have to replace the Body Multifunction Electric Computer. Any additional suggestions out there? Do other H# owners have more than 4' range on their remote keyless entry?

LifeIsGood
Your computer is definitely good, still working, however your signal is weak. Antenna could be damaged? Signal from the computer to antenna is weak! Think about a radio: great reception with an antenna, however if the antenna breaks or is damaged: poor/weak reception. The antenna starts from the board in the computer, check there if you can, check the connector inside and outside the computer, then check the wire up to the antenna.. Check the antenna, is it broke?

I Never measured the distance on mine, however I know my range is at least 50' (I can see the parking lamps on mine, across a parking lot when I hit the unlock button). I have my settings on DEFAULT:

To set your choice for this feature:
1. With the engine off, turn the key to LOCK/OFF.
Do not remove the key from the ignition.
2. Press and hold the lock and unlock buttons on the
RKE transmitter at the same time. Hold both
buttons until the DIC display shows the current RKE
feedback mode
3. To view the next available mode, press and hold
the reset stem until the mode appears. Release
the reset stem and press and hold again to view the
next mode.
4. Once the desired mode is shown on the DIC
display, briefly press the reset stem to set your
choice. The DIC display then clears.
The following are the available modes:
RFA 1 (default): This mode flashes the parking lamps
when you press the lock or unlock buttons on the
RKE transmitter.
RFA 2: This mode flashes the parking lamps and
sounds the horn when you press the lock button on the
RKE transmitter. This mode also flashes the parking
lamps when you press the unlock button on the
RKE transmitter.
RFA 3: This mode flashes the parking lamps and
sounds the horn when you press the lock or unlock
buttons on the RKE transmitter.
RFA 4: This mode disables RKE feedback. There will
be no feedback when you press the lock or unlock
buttons on the RKE transmitter.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:47 PM

A new antenna is probably the best next step given that it is a mere $26 vs the cost of replacing the
MODULE. Body Multifunction Electric Computer. Door Lock Remote Control Inside for over $200.

Looks like this is the right part:
ANTENNA. Door Lock Remote Control Inside. LOCKING SYSTEM/REMOTE; MODULE/BODY CONTROL. 2006 Hummer H3 SUV # 24300221

Do folks have a favorite place for purchasing parts? The link above has good parts prices but the shipping is high @$17.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:29 AM

I mostly use amazon or ebay.. plus I check oehq, & autopartstomorrow.. If all else fails Google the part number and check the available sites. +google the site and "coupon code". Retailmenot has many working coupon codes for many different sites.. Gmparts giant.com shows it available for 24+12shipping.. 24300221 - GM ANTENNA

Old 06-11-2014, 08:24 AM

Hello.

I have the same problem. My RKE works but only inside car. What is the solution to this problem?

Old 06-11-2014, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by oqni
Hello.

I have the same problem. My RKE works but only inside car. What is the solution to this problem?
Seriously? Go back and READ this thread start to finish.

Start by replacing your battery in the fob.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:15 AM

Try this weird trick. Touch the transmitter to your chin and push the button when you think your out of range. Mine gets a few extra feet no clue why this works but it does and no there is not a steel plate in my head lol.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:49 AM

I replaced the batteries already before I wrote post. I think that the cause was a bad connection between the antenna and the BMC. After disconnecting the antenna there was no difference. I disconnected the antenna and connected again. RKE working properly.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by oqni
I replaced the batteries already before I wrote post. I think that the cause was a bad connection between the antenna and the BMC. After disconnecting the antenna there was no difference. I disconnected the antenna and connected again. RKE working properly.
Nice job!

Old 11-05-2017, 04:37 PM
Default Weak

Originally Posted by LifeIsGood
Haven't found a thread for this issue. My remote keyless entry works but I have to be near the radio antenna (passenger side...not convenient). Someone mentioned that the radio antenna and the receiving ?antenna? for the RKE are wired into or near the BCM. The BCM and surrounding area have been exposed to water in the past (leak in sunroof drains). Does anyone have details (video, pics, etc) on the location and repair of the device that receives the RKE signal?

Thanks in advance,
LifeIsGood
hey how's it going I fix mine this was my issue. I had other gobs and other transmitters in my center console. Make sure you remove any other electrical interference such as the key fobs or remotes for other keyless entry Vehicles you may have it might solve your issue.

Old 11-05-2017, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by H3 buddy
hey how's it going I fix mine this was my issue. I had other gobs and other transmitters in my center console. Make sure you remove any other electrical interference such as the key fobs or remotes for other keyless entry Vehicles you may have it might solve your issue.

sorry in advance for the misspellings I'm using speech to text

Quick Reply: Weak RKE