PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water pump #2 bad clutch ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 06:41 PM
Default water pump #2 bad clutch ?

Ok hummer h3 I5 gurus please offer your tips or suggestions.
I have replaced my water pump 2 times now and it is leaking again. Not sure exactly where yet .
1st one was a bosh water pump it lasted about a year & 8000 miles when removed it did look like the shaft and seal were leaking.
2ed one was bought from 1aauto 10 year warranty ACdelco now it is leaking again. When I start the hummer when cold the fan roars for 2 to 4 minutes is this normal. Do you think the fan clutch is causing the premature pump failure. THE fan runs true and does not wobble.
When I removed the last one I used the gasket with no silicone on a clean surface and this time I used ARP thread sealant the white past
as the threaded holes go in to the water jacket and I torked them to speck from the forum. the belt tensioner is working there is no weird sound and
it is a very slow leak the one you smell but it's hard to find a drip. well now I can see a drip off the front of the motor on the driver side and it is wet on the front of the motor. not the side by the thermostat,
Thanks for your help

Old 01-17-2018, 09:28 AM

New water pump, new fan clutch. I always replace them together. An older fan clutch installed on a new water pump is not a good idea.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:29 PM

This ^^

I replaced the water pump and fan clutch at the same time as well. In my case the water pump bearings were letting a slight wobble occur, and the fan clutch made a noise at idle. I don't know which component went bad first but believe when one component went bad it caused the other to go south shortly thereafter.

My fan 'roars' as well when the engine is dead cold moderately above idle, goes away within a mile or two. I believe the service manual describes this as normal operation in the section where they document the fan clutch diagnose procedure.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:25 PM

Fan roar is normal on most vehicles with a clutch fan. Different vehicles have more or less. My hummer isn't too bad, only a little roar. My 1988 4Runner on the other hand sounds like a 747 about to take off! It is recommended to change the two as a pair, however, I usually check one when replacing the other. Seems to me you did all the right things except, did you flush all the coolant? Dirty coolant can cause the shaft seal to leak. Also, I have heard about soaking the seals in new coolant before install. Never done it but if you're having problems this might help.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:21 AM

Thanks for your tips.
I did flush the system when I changed the water pump. I will let the new w/p soak in a can of coolant at this point ill try anything, I also bought a new belt tensioner. Hope to change it this weekend.

Old 05-11-2019, 02:00 PM

Hello, I'm new to this forum and I am going to replace the water pump on my 2004 H2. I was wondering if I should use a sealant on the thermostat gasket? I'm assuming the metal gaskets with o-rings for the actual water pump don't need sealant?

Old 05-13-2019, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by frankinstien
Hello, I'm new to this forum and I am going to replace the water pump on my 2004 H2. I was wondering if I should use a sealant on the thermostat gasket? I'm assuming the metal gaskets with o-rings for the actual water pump don't need sealant?
You dug up a thread over a year old in the H3 section to ask a question about your H2?????? Ask H2 question in the H2 section ONLY. No need to tack it on the end of an old thread.