PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Water leaking through passenger door...Please Help!

Old 12-28-2011, 11:34 PM
Unhappy Water leaking through passenger door...Please Help!

I purchased a used 06 H3 about a month ago. Everything was perfect until a few days ago. I took the hummer through an automatic car wash and when I pulled out, I noticed water leaking through the passenger door. (the area near the door handle, and above the lower right speaker). To make it worse, I believe the water messed with some of the wiring because my door light keeps flashing every few seconds while I'm driving (even though all the doors are completely closed). I've tried sealing a few areas that I thought water could possibly enter, but no luck. I've noticed while driving down the freeway it sounds like air entering, but I can't determine where. Does anyone know any possible solutions? I don't have a warranty, so do you have an estimate what it might cost to take it in to a dealership? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank You, Cameron

Old 12-28-2011, 11:44 PM
Banned

u might compare the rubber seals on the two front doors. see if something is missing. otherwise the door is out of alignment. does it look like it fits right compared to the others?

have a look, try a hose to find the exact spot

Old 12-29-2011, 12:06 AM

I've compared the doors and the rubber seals and everything feels and looks the exact same. It just really sucks because when the hummer gets really wet the door light keeps coming on and the dinging noise that goes along with it is constant, which is driving me crazy. When it gets warm out, I think it dries up the wires that are wet because I have a lot less of the electrical issues. Ill try using a hose and seeing if I can determine where it's coming in from. Thanks

Old 12-29-2011, 06:54 AM

You may be able to remove your door switch on the passenger side while this is occuring to get rid of annoying dinging. The water is shorting that switch out. You will see the little rubber boot toward the bottom of the door, remove one screw and you can pull that boot out. I would also double check your pillar covers and rail covers, the black pieces that go up and over the roof, for cracks and problems. The wind noise might be coming from one of the pillar covers vibrating in the wind.

On the front side of the door, when open, you can see a rubber boot that contains the wiring. Maybe the water is migrating through that boot and going into your door? Its really hard to imagine water coming only in the door, and in enough volume to leak out of the door, from a car wash. I am not doubting what you are describing at all, just that I think you need to look beyond the door for where the water is coming in. With the volume of water to allude to, IMO, it has to be funneled into the door from somewhere else.

Last edited by Widespread Hummer; 12-29-2011 at 07:05 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:56 AM
Banned

i think the dinging is mechanical sw alignment/adjustment.
except for sensitive circuits water doesnt conduct enuf to do much.
dunk a 120 v ac extension cord in a glass of water and it wont do anything,unless u add salt!

Old 12-29-2011, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Did you look at the window seal at the bottom? Roll down both windows and see if anything is unusual on your leaker compared to the other.

Good luck.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by drtom
i think the dinging is mechanical sw alignment/adjustment.
except for sensitive circuits water doesnt conduct enuf to do much.
dunk a 120 v ac extension cord in a glass of water and it wont do anything,unless u add salt!
mine did it when i first got it everytime it rained until I fixed the switch.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:16 PM
Banned

u know me,always lookin for the bottem line info.
tomorrow ill unbolt the sw and dunk it if i can!!

Old 12-29-2011, 06:32 PM

Well if you are trying to recreate the conditions you should probably dunk it enough for the contacts to turn green and build up some corrosion.

When i was in the truck today I was trying to figure out where in the door the OP was talking about and can't figure out where water would leak in through the door in that area.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:39 PM
Banned

thats what im thinking,hard to figure

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Water leaking through passenger door...Please Help!