PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning: $!,000 to air down!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Default Warning: $!,000 to air down!!!!

The other day we went to the beach to drive around. We arrived at the beach, got out to air down, and the caps wouldn't come off the valves. The caps are **metal** aftermarket caps with the H3 logo on them. I took a pliers and firmly tried to remove the caps but they wouldn't budge. Finally, I used all my strength to turn the pliers and I broke the valve- the guts of the valve came out with the pliers.
To make a long story short, the tire place we went to for repairs said we had to go to the dealer- the tire pressure monitor sensor had to be replaced!!! Each sensor cost $76 and the labor for each wheel at the dealer came to $130, including reprogramming the computer for the new sensors.
It seems the metal valve caps fused to the valve threads and were stuck for all eternity.
So............... don't order those metal caps. They make them out of plastic for a good reason.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:34 PM

Hello,
sorry to hear that. You don't have to replace all sensors, because of one broken sensor. Replace only the broken sensor. Try to loose the other caps, perhaps with wd-40 or stuff like that. The sensor costs about 50,- $ at ebay (new), it can be mounted by everyone who can mount tires.

The programming-sequence is in your h3-manual, no need to go to the dealer.

Hope you can get it done without big trouble.

Greets,

Jens

Old 08-03-2009, 06:54 PM

Great advice jens- thanks!
The other three caps are stuck as well. I tried everything to losen them but no luck. The guy at the tire store said the metal caps fused to the threads on the valve stem. He said he's seen this happen a surprising number of times, to a variety of trucks/cars.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the tip, I'm staying with plastic!

Old 08-04-2009, 02:47 PM

Have you tried using Kroil to free up the caps? Move the truck until the valve stem is at the top of the wheel and then use one of the products above. Be sure to put absorbant beneath it to protect the wheel finish. Wait roughly 10-30 minutes and try removing the caps. Use two pairs of pliers this time- one for the cap and the other for counter-torque on the stem. If that doesn't work they may be galled.

Last resort... break out a grinder and take off one side of the cap. Even if you nick the threads a little bit they'll be OK.

Good luck!

Old 08-05-2009, 02:04 AM

Did you put the caps on??

Because they sell the ANTI-THEFT ones where you have to have a special KEY to take them off??

Old 08-05-2009, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by HummBob
Did you put the caps on??

Because they sell the ANTI-THEFT ones where you have to have a special KEY to take them off??

Yes, I put them on. They weren't anti-theft, just simple, ***metal*** caps. AAAHHHGGG!!!!!

yarjammer, thanks for the tips. I'll give that a try.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:34 PM

Don`t use WD-40!!!! That stuff is pure crap use Lubit insted and or tap the side of the cap while trying to turn it when installing the caps use a dab of never seaze on the threads

Old 08-06-2009, 08:53 PM

ok the aftermarket caps are steel and the valve stems are aluminum, they corrode together and seize. I work at a chevy dealer and have seen this several times on the senors, and if its a steel nitrogeon cap take it back to where the nitro was put in and have them fix it. The sensors go for a bouy $75 a peice and .5 labor to install and program. And yea I have broken several of them already, and nothing will free them!!! we've tried everything

Old 08-07-2009, 06:27 AM

Thanks for the tip. I never had any idea...but I do now!!

Quick Reply: Warning: $!,000 to air down!!!!