PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIN#

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Default VIN#

Just wondering.. where are the vin#s on the 06 h3 located?? I know on most cars all major body parts have the vin# stickers on them... cant seem to find them on my h3, the only one I see are the obvious ones on the dash and the one on the inside driver door jam.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:44 PM
Default RE: VIN#

LAST TIME I CHECKED THERE IS ONLY 1 VIN NUMBER AND IT ON THE DASH SO THE POLICE CAN SEE IT EASY AND THATS THE ONE U USE FOR A CARFAX REPORT SO IF THERE IS ANOTHER VIN I WILL BE SHOCKED

Old 12-15-2008, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

GM stamps VINs, stickers are worthless when it comes to stopping chop shops. [&o]

Certain parts are stamped with the VIN code. I hade all my glass etched with it as well.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:32 AM

Doc, do you know if any of the body parts (hood, fenders) are stamped with the vin? I've searched but cant seem to find any...

Old 12-16-2008, 04:53 PM

The frame and main body shell are stamped. Both of which are a secret as to there location. The police can call a dealer and get the locations of the hidden vin# if they need to do an inspection for a salvage vehicle. I had a 69 Nova that was 1 number off on the vin for the year of the vehicle. I wanted it corrected so I had an inspection. The cop told me I would need to take it in to a shop so they could expose the hidden vin and he would check it. I told him I already knew it was located on the firewall under the heater core box on the firewal so he let me remove the cover and he came back an hr. later and verrified the number.
Sorry for rambling.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:44 PM

thats pretty dope.. hidden vins! Like I said before on all my other cars they all had visible vin stickers on the door jams, on the underside of the hood, and on the doors...

Old 12-16-2008, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

They hide them so the crooks all know where they are and regular guys do not!

In 1987, the Department of Transportation's Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Standard required manufacturers to also put the VIN on the major parts (like engines, hoods and fenders) of certain vehicles if the car is considered "high theft" [ref].

On most cars, you can find the VIN on the dashboard on the driver's side, and it's visible through the windshield from outside the car. It is usually on a sticker or plate on the inside of the driver's side door or on the frame sill where the door closes. The VIN is sometimes printed inside the glove compartment. I believe most have a vin code stamped into the floor under the driver seat too.