Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Use existing front tow hooks to hook to “Blue Ox” or similar systems

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 11:51 AM

Gotta upload from album, not device? Crazy.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:24 AM

Hoff,
Yours is very nice. Question to me is whether the one using the existing tow hook points with easy install is adequate? I’m thinking at this point that I will get the welds beefed up if they’re “poopy” as Happy Hummer warned and go with them. I won’t lose the skid plate then.

Last edited by Kim Kietzman; 01-31-2019 at 10:25 AM. Reason: courtesy
Old 01-31-2019, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Happy Hummer
I'm always leary of the metal plates at the end of the horns where the d ring bolt to. I've looked there and the welds are poop and the metal pretty thin.
Never ever heard of one breaking, ever. Yanked the doo doo out of some fellas from the front or rear getting them out of stuck spots, and regularly used winch points.

The welds are not intended to be continuous, just full plate penetration into the frame ends.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Towing an H3 in neutral on the pavement is hardly the amount of stress placed upon the hooks when dragging one through 2 feet of mud or jerking it off a pile of rock. The hooks were designed on purpose to be heavy duty enough to yank on repeatedly, I would not worry about towing a pavement princess.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Kim Kietzman
Hoff,
Yours is very nice. Question to me is whether the one using the existing tow hook points with easy install is adequate? I’m thinking at this point that I will get the welds beefed up if they’re “poopy” as Happy Hummer warned and go with them. I won’t lose the skid plate then.
I was told not to use the tow hook set up to tow the princess, something about the angle of hitch hook up on MH? I don’t know, I just went with this set up, works great and didn’t loose the skid plate. Easy peasy to put on and take off the tow bar.

Last edited by Hoff; 01-31-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Hoff

I was told not to use the tow hook set up to tow the princess, something about the angle of hitch hook up on MH? I don’t know, I just went with this set up, works great and didn’t loose the skid plate. Easy peasy to put on and take off the tow bar.

yes, I thought about how your setup is mounted so much lower. I’m going to call Demco or perhaps the hitch oem and inquire about this

Old 01-31-2019, 03:53 PM

You probably can’t go wrong with either of the setups. Let us know what you decide and post a pic of that Hummer!! What motorhome you towing the 3 with?

Old 01-31-2019, 04:04 PM

I just spoke with roadmaster and blue ox and they both told me that the towing and towed hitch points must be within 3 inches of each other in elevation otherwise unusual forces will be introduced. Makes sense and I don’t want funky stuff going on back there at 70 mph down a mountain. Scary thought!!

pretty sure that I can mount my hitch high enough so I’ll be OK. Thanks Hoff and others

kim

Last edited by Kim Kietzman; 01-31-2019 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Na
Old 01-31-2019, 04:10 PM

Yes, you are correct I leveled my tow bar to the back of MH to determine what hitch receiver I needed.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Hoff
You obviously did it up right. I was just commenting on the tow hook to frame integrity. .

Quick Reply: Use existing front tow hooks to hook to “Blue Ox” or similar systems