PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Uneven front tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator
Default Uneven front tire wear

I have roughly 23k miles on my H3 in little over a year. I check my tire pressure almost every month. It's always the same all the way around. I noticed the last two months or so that the alignment has been a little off. I thought MAYBE it was the torsion bars. I was very maticulous in adjusting them and making sure each one had exactly the same adjustments, so I ruled that out.

Anyway, I just measured the tire wear this morning, and noticed that the front passenger tire is almost 1/8" MORE worn down then the driver's side tire. That would explain why it pulls to the right just slightly. I'm kinda curious why that would be.

Is it possible that 80% of my driving is in the left lane of the expressway where it is slanted to the left and I have to keep the wheel slightly turned to the right to keep is straight? That's the only thing I can think of since I'm driving 45 miles a day on the expressway and usually always in the left lane. I haven't rotated the tires yet but I'm going to next week after I have my own garage to do it in. I just think it's a bit odd to have that much of a discrepency in tire wear.

Old 11-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Default RE: Uneven front tire wear

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

I have roughly 23k miles on my H3 in little over a year. I check my tire pressure almost every month. It's always the same all the way around. I noticed the last two months or so that the alignment has been a little off. I thought MAYBE it was the torsion bars. I was very maticulous in adjusting them and making sure each one had exactly the same adjustments, so I ruled that out.

Anyway, I just measured the tire wear this morning, and noticed that the front passenger tire is almost 1/8" MORE worn down then the driver's side tire. That would explain why it pulls to the right just slightly. I'm kinda curious why that would be.

Is it possible that 80% of my driving is in the left lane of the expressway where it is slanted to the left and I have to keep the wheel slightly turned to the right to keep is straight? That's the only thing I can think of since I'm driving 45 miles a day on the expressway and usually always in the left lane. I haven't rotated the tires yet but I'm going to next week after I have my own garage to do it in. I just think it's a bit odd to have that much of a discrepency in tire wear.

This topic is one that has been heavily debated throughout this forum (and I've been reading everything I can find because I want to raise my front end aprox 2"). You will find that the two camps are equally decisive in their opinions, but I am convinced that tightening the torsion keys/bars must have a causal relationship on alignment, tire wear, ride quality, etc. If it was meant to be, it would have been done at the factory IMO. For me it is going to be a Truxxx front end kit to raise the H3; some will say that I'm nutz to spend the $400 when the bolts can be turned for free. However, you are now going to not only need an alignment, but new tires too. No way is it the left lane driving theory.

Old 11-11-2006, 05:38 PM

a tortion bar is nothing more than a spring, turning it only adds more tension and raises the front end...there is absolutely NOTHING that can come from turning them....why do you think your hummer dealer will turn them for you if you ask? The truxx lift is nothing more than keys that relocate the tortion bar which raises the truck...an alignment should be done after this also. As far as hummer guy, it doesn't matter that you turned each side t- bar the same amount, you still messed with the front end geometry same as ANY lift so an alignment should have been done to prevent uneven tire wear. There is a reason why only mechanics with an alignment rack do alignments...very hard to do with just the naked eye.

BTW, the same exacct thing as the truxx lift can be found on ebay for much much less

Old 11-11-2006, 07:27 PM

ORIGINAL: importkiller

a tortion bar is nothing more than a spring, turning it only adds more tension and raises the front end...there is absolutely NOTHING that can come from turning them....why do you think your hummer dealer will turn them for you if you ask? The truxx lift is nothing more than keys that relocate the tortion bar which raises the truck...an alignment should be done after this also. As far as hummer guy, it doesn't matter that you turned each side t- bar the same amount, you still messed with the front end geometry same as ANY lift so an alignment should have been done to prevent uneven tire wear. There is a reason why only mechanics with an alignment rack do alignments...very hard to do with just the naked eye.

BTW, the same exacct thing as the truxx lift can be found on ebay for much much less

DITTO

Old 11-12-2006, 05:44 AM

HummerGuy, I have owned 4X4's since 1974 and can honestly say that they all get that scalloped wear on the outside edges of the front tires even if the allignment is in specs.

How often do you rotate your tires? They need to be rotated at least every 3,000 miles to keep them even wearing and even then, you may still notice a slight edge wear.

I rotate by moving the back straight to the front (same side) and moving the front tires to opposite rear axles (left front...right rear, and right front...left rear).