PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Transmission dip stick dilema

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 09:11 PM
Default Transmission dip stick dilema

So, I successfully changed my transmission fluid / filter. I pumped a couple quarts out the dipstick before dropping, so it wasn't too bad of a balance act.

So, after the change, I refilled with 4.5 quarts of fluid so I could add from there. The only thing is, everytime I try to check the tranny fluid, the fluid is halfway up the dip stick. It is impossible to read. I have checked it while running and hot, while running, hot and in neutral, I checked it when not hot after sitting for a few hours.... EVERYTIME I'm unable to get a clear reading because fluid is half way up the dip stick. (And yes, I do know that it is not that overfilled, Also, it has been driven 100 whiles or so since the change)

Any suggestions as an alternative method to checking the fluid level?

Old 06-02-2019, 04:58 PM

Did you check the level not running?

Old 06-02-2019, 07:44 PM

Yep.... Still fluid all up and down the dips stick without a clear line as to where it actually sits.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:45 PM

I may or may not of came up with a great idea. I have a boroscope that I use to look at my cylinders and other things I need to see in small spaces. What I am probably going to do is see if I can't tape it 3-4" above the bottom of the dip stick and send it down and see where the fluid is actually sitting. It has a light on it, so if it will even fit, it should work.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:48 PM

trans fluid is overfilled, check your coolant.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:40 AM

X2, Check your coolant for the dreaded pink milkshake.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Did you check the level not running?
Originally Posted by cjd9153
Yep.... Still fluid all up and down the dips stick without a clear line as to where it actually sits.
Judging from your reply, I'm wondering if you misunderstood Hummerz question?
You're supposed to check the fluid level with the vehicle running.
Owners manual explains 'cold' and 'hot' levels on the dip stick.

Just trin' to help.
EJ

Old 06-03-2019, 11:59 AM

correct transmission oil level on the 4L60E / 4L65E is level with the top of the transmission pan but below the gasket regardless of a dipstick as dipsticks fit a variety of vehicles and configurations.

another thing that can bring oil levels up is a failed torque converter.
instead of holding the oil, the contained oil all leaks back out overfilling the pan.

but the most common fault on the hummer line up is as stated above; a bad radiator dumping coolant into the transmission through the internal transmission cooler.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:41 PM

Checked it running in park, in neutral, as well as not running and cooled down

Old 06-03-2019, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Captain Obvious here.

You do realize that since you add trans fluid to the trans through the dipstick tube, the dipstick tube gets a coating of trans fluid on it until that fluid drains by gravity to the pan. So if you add fluid, ram in the dipstick right after doing so, the dipstick will pick up fluid on it from the inside of the dipstick tube and to Novice auto do-it-yourselfers, make it look like they can't read the fluid level.

IMHO, if you dropped the pan, swapped the filter, then after buttoning it back together added 4.5 quarts, you over filled it.

Should have started with about 3.6-3.8 Qts. then checked the level running hot and added small amounts until exactly where you wanted. Always worked for me.

Let us know what you find out.

Quick Reply: Transmission dip stick dilema