PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Transfer Case Encoder Motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 06:47 PM
Question Transfer Case Encoder Motor

Hello again folks! Knightblade here, Having a wee bit of an issue with my 07 H3. Every time I went through a car wash that has an underspray, after a while my "Serv 4x4" would come on and I'd be unable to shift to 4high-lock or 4-low lock or even Neutralize the transfer case. This would stay this way for about 5-8 hours or so, sometimes less depending on weather, and then would turn off and transfer case would return to normal functionality.

Anyways, I had it into my mechanics the other day after doing what they suggested by taking apart electrical connectors that are all visible from the underside of the vehicle, cleaned them with contact cleaner and then sealed them with electrical safe marine silicone. Thought "perfect! Won't be an issue!" Though I -did- find that my passenger side CV axle is shot so, I do need to replace that.

But that's beside the point; I went back through the car wash 24 hours after the fact as I was going to the mechanic to see about warranty work on the CV replacement, so decided to see if the light would come on again, ding ding! Light came on again even after I sealed it, but at least this time I was at the shop already and they actually saw the light on, and put the computer to it, got a code and said "Yep, its the encoder motor."

They said that its all rotted and there's definitely water getting in and the like. So I start doing some research on where to find a part, a "Transfer case encoder motor", or at least a part number that I could use to go to dealers and say "I need -this-." as apparently some places are calling it a Shift Actuator motor, or a four wheel drive actuator, -or- the encoder motor itself.

Does -anyone- know a parts number for this specific part and where I could get one in Canada -without- having to hack off an arm or leg or first born child? I will accept rebuilt ones, but definitely prefer new OEM parts if at all possible.

Please help! And thank you

Old 01-11-2017, 07:41 PM

GM 89059688 Transfer Case Actuator

Old 01-11-2017, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER

Thank you very much man, appreciate it!

Old 01-15-2017, 10:01 AM

MU,
FWIW, I'm pretty sure that's the part # for an H2 TC encoder motor.

The GM Part # that I have for an H3 TC encoder motor is 19300596. Also a good idea to order the TC encoder motor seal along with it (GM 19209788).

Old 01-15-2017, 10:03 AM

Here's a link to one on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-19300.../dp/B00B4L6T40

Old 01-15-2017, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bigunit
I checked with several different mechanics and they said that there wasn't a difference between the parts. Apparently its the same shift actuator and motor that GM has been using on push-button transmissions since 2001. I looked at the difference, same connector, same spacing and size and even the shop I go to said "The part numbers match...what the heck?" Had a friend that worked in parts service for 10 years look at the physical parts for me when he was at work and they are literally the same thing, just the 19300596 one apparently is branded to the H3 so they charge more for it.

500+ rather than the 290.

I will update as the repair is done though, and we'll see what happens! I got a return and refund guarantee so worse comes to worse, I'll -have- to shell out the extra cash...ugh, not a prospect that I really wanted to think of at the moment. Lol.

As I said, I'll update as the repair happens. Part arrives on the 18th or sooner, so we'll see! Thanks though, appreciate it.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Knightblade
I checked with several different mechanics and they said that there wasn't a difference between the parts. Apparently its the same shift actuator and motor that GM has been using on push-button transmissions since 2001. I looked at the difference, same connector, same spacing and size and even the shop I go to said "The part numbers match...what the heck?" Had a friend that worked in parts service for 10 years look at the physical parts for me when he was at work and they are literally the same thing, just the 19300596 one apparently is branded to the H3 so they charge more for it.

500+ rather than the 290.

I will update as the repair is done though, and we'll see what happens! I got a return and refund guarantee so worse comes to worse, I'll -have- to shell out the extra cash...ugh, not a prospect that I really wanted to think of at the moment. Lol.

As I said, I'll update as the repair happens. Part arrives on the 18th or sooner, so we'll see! Thanks though, appreciate it.
Thanks for the additional info on the part. The one on Amazon is only $193.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:24 PM

Thanks for the additional info on the part. The one on Amazon is only $193.
Yeah, I found a bunch on Amazon.com for around that price, but after customs, taxes and 'core fees' It would come around 500 bucks CAD to get it shipped up to me, or I'd have done it in a heartbeat. For the 193-part, they wanted 500-700 dollars -just- for the part itself. I was like "...wat..." But yeah, as I said before, I'll update as the repair gets done, we'll see! Also, hopefully the seal isn't shot when they pull the old one off, if it is, I'm guessing they could order a seal for it, or its just a standard gasket or something. We'll see!

Old 01-15-2017, 01:43 PM

MU,
FWIW, I'm pretty sure that's the part # for an H2 TC encoder motor.

The GM Part # that I have for an H3 TC encoder motor is 19300596. Also a good idea to order the TC encoder motor seal along with it (GM 19209788).
I don't know, I bought my part # due to the fact they cross-reference each other and I was able to get my part # from a GM parts depot cheaper than the part # you listed. I'm not made of $ and like to save other people $ on the forums when I can.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:51 AM

Back from the dead. Is there a definitive answer or follow up on this repair? Are the encoder motors identical? I’m getting one for my H3 alpha and the dealer says 19300596 but websites say 89059688?

thanks!