PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Trailer wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 09:21 PM
Default Trailer wiring harness

First, yes I am a dumb a&$. I can not find the harness where my trailer T connection goes. I have looked everywhere,under, over, inside, outside of my H3. I do have a base model, don't know if GM didn't put it in, like my floor mats. I mounted the hitch in 20 min. 2 hrs later still looking for this harness. Any one else have a Base model that has located this harness. Thanks for the help.
Wayne

Old 06-28-2006, 12:33 AM
Default RE: Trailer wiring harness

Hey Wayne..No dumbases here..we all ask questions, someone is bound to know the answer here so ask away.

Are you talking about this?...You should have one as it's part of the trailer hitch, but strange enough it is sold seperately..So maybe that is something you should discuss with your dealer about..

Old 06-28-2006, 12:47 AM

I believe he is installing an aftermarket hitch. If that is the case, I would say to follow the license plate wiring up until you come to a connector somewhere near the frame. I have an exploded view showing all of the factory parts for the towing package, and that is where it shows the factory wiring tying into the rest of the vehicle harness.

Old 06-28-2006, 12:50 AM

Oh[&:]

Old 06-28-2006, 05:19 PM

Thanks guys,
Yes I did install a aftermarket hitch, I followed the wiring harness back without finding the connector to tie into. Where did your exploded pic show it. It should be near the rear bumper but it's not there on mine.
Wayne

Old 06-28-2006, 06:57 PM

Best way I have found on previous trucks was to follow the drivers side brake light wires, they will join a connector. On my other gm's the connector was always near the frame or up under the spare tire area (muffler area on the H3) On my Jeep the connector was actually inside behind one of the interior pieces on the drivers side rear. I'm going to be hooking my boat up to the hummer tonight anyway, I'll look around for it and let you know.

Old 06-28-2006, 09:30 PM

Can you please post a picture of your installation? I'm in the same boat you are in without the factory option and need to add a hitch soon. Did you go Draw-Tight or Hidden-Hitch.

If you open the rear hatch (door?) and look down between the rear of the truck and the bumper, you'll see a cable harness wrapped in a corragated black plastic sheath. The sheath has a split in it and the trailer wiring is tucked inside ready to be pulled out. That's the way it is on my Lux model anyway.

Old 06-28-2006, 10:46 PM

is the hitch a dealer installed item or factory? I know when I worked for a chevy dealer here we used to install them as well as nerf bars and running boards on all chevy trucks. If it is a dealer installed item then all models will have the wiring there for the trailer harness.

Old 06-28-2006, 11:06 PM

Thanks All. I found my harness, no connector, just 4 loose wires. NJTEX was right, I'll have to splice my connector to it. It was between the rear of the hummer and the bumper. I went with a draw-tite hitch $181 inc shipping and harness.
Wayne

Old 06-28-2006, 11:15 PM

There should be 7 wires if I'm not mistaken, gm's come with a 7 round connector. If all your using is a 4 flat then you'll be ok with what you found but if you tow a trailer that has built in surge brakes you'll need a (+) reverse lead to lockout the trailer brakes when you backup.

Quick Reply: Trailer wiring harness