PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Tracction control failure?

Old 09-11-2017, 11:38 AM
Default Tracction control failure?

I recently had a Traction control failure notice pop up and also it will no longer shift into low range, they look to be connected any idea what can cause this, )06 H3 with only 30K miles on her ?

Old 09-11-2017, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Since the T Case won't shift, it could very well be the Transfer Case Actuator/Shift Motor. When it gets wet for too long it can short out, or the wire connector may be loos or corroded, or the wiring harness frayed or grounded, all of which can lead to a Traction Control failure message.

Old 09-11-2017, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Since the T Case won't shift, it could very well be the Transfer Case Actuator/Shift Motor. When it gets wet for too long it can short out, or the wire connector may be loos or corroded, or the wiring harness frayed or grounded, all of which can lead to a Traction Control failure message.

I pulled the motor off and dry and clean,and It does shift into hi lock from hi unlocked.pulled and checked wiring near glovebox, checked fuses. Seems the 4x4 low quit at same time the failure light came on for the traction control.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:37 PM

Do you also have a "reduced power" mode? Anything that triggers that will automatically also set the "traction control" and "stability system" failures as well, and will prevent 4LO.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:55 AM

Read the codes

Old 09-12-2017, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by byeatts
I pulled the motor off and dry and clean,and It does shift into hi lock from hi unlocked.pulled and checked wiring near glovebox, checked fuses. Seems the 4x4 low quit at same time the failure light came on for the traction control.
The motor has 2 phases, one for high lock, the other to move the second shift fork to low lock. So far, you seem to have verified one of the two is working.

You might want to bench test the motor to see if the shaft will rotate all the way to low lock. If the motor functions properly.... then... Have you changed out the plastic shift fork?

Old 09-12-2017, 08:49 PM
Default from 2007 book

The transfer case motor is a bi-directional, permanent magnet, D.C. motor. When energized,
through motor control A or motor control B, the ground is provided by the opposing motor
control circuit and then grounded through the trans fer case shift control module ground circuit,
the motor, through a series of gears, rotates a shaft which moves the mode and range forks to shift
the transfer case between the following ranges:
 4HI
 4HI Lock
 4LO Lock
 Neutral

Old 09-13-2017, 12:27 PM

Thanks everyone for the ideas,Dont know anything about the reduced power mode?. I did bench test the motor and it spins freely in both directions when altering polarity,The motor works when shifting from hi to hi lock, It make no sound when shifting to Lo, The dash lights all seem to work as normal and blink during shifting but wont remain in the Lo lock.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by byeatts
Thanks everyone for the ideas,Dont know anything about the reduced power mode?. I did bench test the motor and it spins freely in both directions when altering polarity,The motor works when shifting from hi to hi lock, It make no sound when shifting to Lo, The dash lights all seem to work as normal and blink during shifting but wont remain in the Lo lock.
It is not about both ways, it is about a partial rotation, then a further rotation. Yes it has to be able to go both ways to shift back out of low and lock.

If I remember correctly, and we figured this out when somebody fried the shift actuator..... you can remove it, rotate the shaft manually to get somebody stuck in lo back to high and on the road home.

If it worked the other way, you wouldn't be able to keep it locked and then shift to low. Me thinks your motor is seen better days.

Your PCM cannot confirm the position of the motor because the second phase is dead, hence it is throwing a TC Fail. Without being able to be there an look at it, that is my guess.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:49 AM

by itself a naked motor can only rotate one way or the other by polarity switching, AS TOLD BY SOMETHING, the controller. if it turns 2 ways it sounds ok but how the controller decides to start and stop it is??
must be some feedback missing in the controler?
right now i dont know but looking?

gotta look at diagram, wiring...

a motor,just 2 wires, connects to the control module wher the buttons are. a 5 wire encoder also connects to TELL THE MODULE WHER THE MOTOR IS positioned. see the pdf.
enc is part of motor assm

could be that the motor cant physically move where it wants because of bad ? parts, fork?

Last edited by happythree; 09-14-2017 at 10:24 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tracction control failure?