PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Towing Abilities

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Default Towing Abilities

Hey guys. I'm new here. Have a base 2008 H3. I'm interested in getting a camping trailer. Either a Forest River R-Pod or Airstream Sport. R-Pod weight anticipated to be around 2,500 to 3,000 lbs when loaded with stuff. Airstream weight is projected tobe around 4,000 lbs.

Although the H3 is rated to tow 4,500 lbs, I'm somewhat concerned about its ability to handle a smaller size Airstream. Does anyone have any towing experience, gas mileage projections while towing a camping trailer, or overall thoughts on whether towing a 4,000 lb camping trailer may be asking to much of the H3. Any thoughts, feedback welcome.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:57 PM

The H3 will do fine in that weight class. Here's another trailer brand and concept to consider, it's on my short list. http://www.trailmanor.com/

Old 10-17-2009, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by thermalfrost
Hey guys. I'm new here. Have a base 2008 H3. I'm interested in getting a camping trailer. Either a Forest River R-Pod or Airstream Sport. R-Pod weight anticipated to be around 2,500 to 3,000 lbs when loaded with stuff. Airstream weight is projected tobe around 4,000 lbs.

Although the H3 is rated to tow 4,500 lbs, I'm somewhat concerned about its ability to handle a smaller size Airstream. Does anyone have any towing experience, gas mileage projections while towing a camping trailer, or overall thoughts on whether towing a 4,000 lb camping trailer may be asking to much of the H3. Any thoughts, feedback welcome.
Will it do it? Sure. Are there other vehicles that would do a much better job? Absolutely. I just bought an office trailer that weighs in at 1900# and it's a struggle for the H3. For the most part you can't run 5th gear. On an automatic, I'd assume that's going to equate to a lot of hunting between 3rd and 4th. I would guess that on hilly terrain it's going to be even more interesting.

On the plus side, it does pull nicely. Other than the lack of power you really don't know it's back there. No bouncing around or sway. The ride and experience is better than pulling with my Silverado other than the lack of power.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:10 PM

Guys,

Sorry to threadjack, but my topic is similar. I'm a 2006 H3 owner but I'm also a drag racer. I'm thinking about trying to tow my 2800lb Mustang on a 1200lb, 16ft aluminum trailer(with electric brakes) with my H3. I know the tow rating of the H3 is 4500lbs for an automatic. I bought this H3 new at the dealer and it now has about 36000 miles. I ordered the Off-Road package and the luxury package, but NOT the tow package. I'm having a hard time trying to see what all was included in the tow package that isn't already on my vehicle, such as the tow hitch. I can get a hitch cheap enough, but what else comes in the factory tow package? Bigger trans cooler? Something other than the 4-wire harness? E-brake controller perhaps? When I ordered this vehicle, I never imagined myself towing anything with it but then one day I saw a guy going down the highway with an H3 (non-Alpha) and a race car on an open trailer at about 70mph. It looked stable enough. That set my mind to thinking about trying it. I live within 100 miles of 4 different drag strips so thats about as far as I would need to go. I live in IL which mean the roadways are pretty flat, so dealing with mountain climbing would not be an issue.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help.

Last edited by SwillRacer; 10-22-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by SwillRacer
Guys,

Sorry to threadjack, but my topic is similar. I'm a 2006 H3 owner but I'm also a drag racer. I'm thinking about trying to tow my 2800lb Mustang on a 1200lb, 16ft aluminum trailer(with electric brakes) with my H3. I know the tow rating of the H3 is 4500lbs for an automatic. I bought this H3 new at the dealer and it now has about 36000 miles. I ordered the Off-Road package and the luxury package, but NOT the tow package. I'm having a hard time trying to see what all was included in the tow package that isn't already on my vehicle, such as the tow hitch. I can get a hitch cheap enough, but what else comes in the factory tow package? Bigger trans cooler? Something other than the 4-wire harness? E-brake controller perhaps? When I ordered this vehicle, I never imagined myself towing anything with it but then one day I saw a guy going down the highway with an H3 (non-Alpha) and a race car on an open trailer at about 70mph. It looked stable enough. That set my mind to thinking about trying it. I live within 100 miles of 4 different drag strips so thats about as far as I would need to go. I live in IL which mean the roadways are pretty flat, so dealing with mountain climbing would not be an issue.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help.
Bear in mind, my advice comes largely from what I have read on the internet, and not from first hand experience so you may want to take it with a grain of salt. I believe the only components that constitute the "tow package" are the hitch itself and the 7 way connector. No H3's have an integrated brake controller. You will need to wire that in yourself. Wires are blunt cut and tucked up on the right side of the footwell by the courtesty light. I believe your electric brake wire is already run to the back and is hooked up. No underhood splicing or wiring needed. Hope I don't steer you wrong. Good luck!

Old 10-22-2009, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by 08H3
I believe your electric brake wire is already run to the back and is hooked up. No underhood splicing or wiring needed. Hope I don't steer you wrong. Good luck!
I too have an 06 without tow package. I have installed the brake controler and hitch. I can't seem to find the blue wire in the back. The only wires in the back (factory blunt cut) are white, brown, yellow and green. Surely someone out there has wired their 06 with a seven pin plug and brake controler and can chime in here.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:32 PM

i have an 06 h3 with the tow package. i also have 305 tires on it. i pulled a honda civic from Albany ny to Binghampton on a trailer. the truck had to work its *** off up hills and i really dont think i will use it for towing again.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by thermalfrost

I have a 2006 Hummer H3 with 285/70/16 tires, I am in colorado about 5,000 ft elevation of witch you lose 3 percent horsepower per 1,000 feet in elevation. I have towed a Carson Rebel travel trailer on the HWY it weighs about 3,500 lbs and It struggles a lot up hills and kicks in and out of high gear. I would say youd be ok pulling no more than 2500 lbs with a 5 cylinder. However I could keep it running 65 mph at about 3,000 rpms, I would say if your hauling at low elevation and for short trips youd be ok. but it sucks.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:03 PM

Thanks for all the input. Sounds like I should stick with an R-Pod that should weigh in around 2500 lbs and avoid Airstream's just due to the higher weight.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:52 AM
Talking

Probably the best thing to tow with a H3 would be A HI-Lo travel trailer or this thing called an EGG camper if you like the retro look, Hi-LO trailers are around 2200 to 2500 lbs on the small units, have hard sides, and sit low when pulling for less wind resistance.