PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Black Paint questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 09:23 AM
Unhappy Black Paint questions

I recently bought an 06 H3 and someone before me had really neglected the black paint on it. I think someone may have gotten into the clear coat with a buffing machine. A lot of swirl marks, etc. also. What is the best way or process to get it back to looking good? I don't want to repaint it

Old 10-21-2009, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by jbs45
I recently bought an 06 H3 and someone before me had really neglected the black paint on it. I think someone may have gotten into the clear coat with a buffing machine. A lot of swirl marks, etc. also. What is the best way or process to get it back to looking good? I don't want to repaint it
Well, the smart alec in me would tell you to go out and get a little trail damage. You'll never notice the swirl marks after that!

Seriously though, I know how annoying paint defect can be. I would probably reccomend taking it to a reputable detail shop. In my opinion, it's usually worth the cost to get it looking good and then start with a clean slate. From that point, I would reccomend Turtle Wax Ice or Meguiar's NXT to keep it looking nice.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

I have four black vehicles, and have owned at least one black truck or car for the last 32 years.

Use Turtle wax Scratch and Swirl remover, two times, with a foam pad. You can do it by hand weedhopper (wax on, wax off), but an orbital buffer for amatures works much easier. Do NOT mess with a "buffing wheel" unless you know how to use it. Then use Mequires Cleaner Wax one time over, then any regular wax after that.

If it is not standing tall, it won't, you'll need paint.

Or pay a detailer for what you're too lazy to do.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:56 PM

Cleaner wax after the Scratch and Swirl remover? Can you ellaborate on this please.....Thanks!!

Old 10-21-2009, 03:07 PM

I had a few swirl marks on my black H3, I just used NXT wax with a foam pad and microfiber. Took nearly every one out.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:18 PM

I did exactly what Doc said with the Turtle Wax Scratch and Swirl Remover...just followed the instrucions...the dealer I got mine from got a little buffer happy detailing it the day I bought it and after i washed it myself I noticed some badly swirled areas on my passenger side doors...went to Advanced Autoparts and they pointed me in the right direction, and the whole process didn't take any longer than waxing the doors would have...good luck jbs45!

Old 10-21-2009, 04:26 PM

better doing what i did. Put DuralSeal paint protection on my body, and yea i dont have random things that are visibile in light and all.....but since they put the PP over that, i assume im stuck with them for the next 4-5 years?

Old 10-22-2009, 12:30 AM

I Pay someone EVERY SPRING!!!!

Old 10-22-2009, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jbs45
Cleaner wax after the Scratch and Swirl remover? Can you ellaborate on this please.....Thanks!!
The Scratch & Swirl Remover is just that, it will pull out some minor scratches and swirl marks left in the clear coat. When your done, or have been working on it for a while, the foam pad will still be basically clean.

The cleaner wax doesn't cut scratches very well, but it will pull out the crud in the top layer of the finish. If your truck is a couple years old, after a while, the foam pad will be dirty cruddy nasty.

Theoretically you could do it in the opposite order, but I can tell you it does not work as well as doing the Scratch & Swirl Remover first. Been there, done that.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:43 AM

Thanks for all of the advice so far guys, this forum kicks a$$ !!

What about the waxes and/or cleaners that are specifically designed for black paint? Do those help at all?

Quick Reply: Black Paint questions