PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking of buying 4 Firestone Destination A/Ts -- anyone have a set??

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 07:35 PM
Default thinking of buying 4 Firestone Destination A/Ts -- anyone have a set??

I did a search and couldn't find a thread that discussed this tire (excuse me if i missed a post)

Anyway -- I am seriously considering replacing my stock wranglers with some Firestone Destination A/T tires. My wife has Firestone Destination LE tires on her AWD Vue and it does amazingly well in the snow. Her tires seem to spin less than my stock wranglers. Tire Rack has rated the Destination A/T exceptionally well for Deep Snow and ice....just curious if anyone here has tried a set.....are they as good in the snow as advertised.

The local Firestone dealer quoted $144 per tire mounted and balanced...still going to see if any other places can beat that deal.

I just want something better in the snow for this upcoming winter (also received 4 flat tires in my stock wranglers and one bead leak) --- my H3 didn't quite feel like a true 4x4 in the snow with the stock wranglers.

Youtube has a video of a guy in a light green H3 (looks like Europe) trying to get up a snowy slushy hill and he keeps spinning his tires (they look like the stock wranglers...looking at the tread and sidewall). EVERYONE else is passing him and he looks like a moron (maybe he doesn't know how to drive or maybe his tires are shot). He has another video posted that shows him with a new set of tires driving thru everything without a problem (new tires look like BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A from tread pattern). Hopefully a new set of tires will help my winter driving.

I was only stuck once last winter from driving in very deep snow in a parking lot (trying to take a short-cut to bypass traffic), but once is too much for me. My buddy told me I drove into the snow too slow...but it still supprised me that I got stuck. I had a neighbor in a VW sedan get stuck in the street. I was able to pull her out and pull her to her driveway....so I am not totally helpless in the snow. BTW, she was pretty hot....nice tubes on her!!!!!

Old 08-28-2009, 03:52 AM

I have a set (305/70-16) on my H3. I have not had the chance to try them in snow. We do not get a lot of that in Florida. They are great in wet weather and ride very well on the highway. Road noise is a bare minimum. I had a Jeep Liberty Renegade with the Wrangler SR-A and they were terrible.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:59 AM

I think Firestone is owned by Bridgestone. My '07 H3 came with Bridgestone AT tires and I love them!!

Bob

Old 08-28-2009, 10:28 AM

I would also HEAVILY consider the BF Goodrich AT if you want to stay with an AT tire. That tire is arguably the best snow traction AT on the market. In fact you can probably find a slightly used set off of a H2 for pennies on the dollar and get some 17" inch wheels to put on them. You would spend close to the same money and get a lot more ground clearance and better off-road traction. And yes 35" tires will fit on a H3.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:56 AM

I know this does not directly answer your question, but if winter is a big concern for you, go with the Bridgestone Blizzak. You absolutely can not beat this tire in snow and ice. I have a set for my Silverado and then switch them out in the spring.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:34 PM

I got a quote of $685 for a set of Bridgestone Dualer AT Revo tires from Belle Tire. Bridgestone is offering a $100 mail in rebate right now. Also got 2 coupons from GM -- one for price matching on any tires and the other for $15 off any vehicle service. This would bring the final price of the dualers down to $570...not bad!

Maybe I'll consider the Revos since it seems like more H3 owners have those over the Firestone Destinations.

Anyone like their Revos in the Deep snow?????

Old 09-03-2009, 05:34 AM
Post Tires

I've seen a lot of 1/2 ton trucks running the destination A/T's. They look very similar to the Wrangler MTR but from what I have seen didn't wear as well. Not sure what the treadwear rating is on the tire compared to the Goodyear MTR. I personally had the MTR 305/75 R17 on my 1/2 ton quad cab ram Hemi and swear by them. And I am not sure how much snow you are talking about but I was pushing snow at time with my headlights in Bradford Pa a few years back for work and the MTR's pawed through it and took me up the side of the mountain to some oil wells. It amazed me as I figured snow was like mud and the wider the tire, the worse off I would be, but they were unreal. I just put a set of Wrangler DuraTrac 285/75 R16's on my wifes H3 and love them, obviously haven't tried snow yet but they claim this tire is a cross between the MTR and the wrangler road tire. Not to mention they look bad as h3ll!! I put a lot of miles on vehicles (about 7k a month for work in the Appalachian mountains) and have learned that the best "deal" on tires is not always the best deal, you get what you pay for. I run the BFG A/T's on my work trucks, not cheap but they hold up the best. I will now step off my tire soap box and head to the office.

Attached Thumbnails thinking of buying 4 Firestone Destination A/Ts -- anyone have a set??-tires.jpg  
Old 09-03-2009, 08:28 PM

nice pic -- love the look of that tire!!!!!!! problem is that my budget is limited. Tirerack rates the Destination A/T as their second highest all-terrain tire...I was just curious how accurate that rating was.

I'm not looking to drive in snow up to my headlights....maybe just my knees.....but driving thru headlight deep snow would be fun.

Thanks for the input.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:50 PM

Whatever you get I would suggest you get 5 tires as you can burn up the all time drive clutch unit if you get a flat and use a different size tire.
I would also suggest you do not get a P265, P275 or any P (passenger tire) but rather a true truck tire.