PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Are These Shifting Problems Common?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Default Are These Shifting Problems Common?

I have an '08 H3 base with a 5 speed manual. I've driven manual transmission vehicles more than I've driven automatics so I definitely know how to handle one. But my H3's manual transmission is much different than the GMC Sierra and Pontiac Fiero I've had. I'll have the transmission in neutral for various reasons, then when I press in the clutch to get back into 1st or Reverse, it won't go. Sometimes this happens. I'll be pressing towards the gear and it acts like that's not an option. But if I'm on any sort of incline and can roll a few feet, I'll stay pressed towards 1st or Reverse and the shifter will slide into gear.

It hasn't bothered me that much, I figured I could deal with it. Until lately I've been stopped at a drive thru where I need to leave it in neutral with the parking break on because I need to extend half my body out the window. Then when I'm ready to leave I can't get in gear, and there's no incline at all to help me roll. I know it pisses off the drivers behind me who are wondering why the Hummer guy won't hurry up and go.

I've had my H3 for 2 months now, the dealer told me he had all the fluids changed, and everything else checked before he put it on his lot, so I figured I'd be good for quite a while on any maintenance issues(thinking of transmission fluid). I've only added 1,000 miles also.

I've never driven this heavy of a vehicle with a manual transmission or a 4-wheel drive with a manual. Is this common? Do the gears just have larger or fewer teeth?

Old 03-06-2010, 12:57 AM

I drove standards well before I even got my license and the h3's and T's are different creatures. Ive noticed that not having the clutch in 100 percent can make a difference. 99 percent and it wont go. Also, you have to get physical with the reverse sometimes. It wont slide in there like other manuals. Dont try to go 5th then reverse trying to get momentum, the trans has a lockout feature from 5 to R.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:44 AM

I actually think the H3 shift pretty smooth. I mean it is a truck and all, but I have had no problems with shifting what so ever.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:14 PM

I don't have a manual tranny in my H3 but I don't think that what you're experiencing is right, at least it's not how the few manual tranny trucks I've owned acted. Do a search on it here or other forums as I've seen threads with others having similar problems with the manual tranny. What you're describing is usually a problem with the clutch not disengaging properly (I've experienced that) or the synchros in the tranny giving up.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:10 PM

mine too is stiff from time to time.
I'm going to switch to bg syncro shift fluid to see if it helps.
I work with a guy that has an 07 manual base and has no problem.
I also work with a few toyota guys and they say the asain trans can be stiff like that and the fluid makes a difference so I'll let everyone know after I change it out..

Old 03-06-2010, 09:41 PM

Tacomas often get the same complaints. I have driven a few standard Tacomas and if the clutch isn't perfect, it won't go into gear.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:56 PM

what happened to the pontiac fiero?

Old 03-07-2010, 04:00 PM

Your clutch linkage may not be adjusted just right. You may be pushing the pedal all the way to the floor but its not completely disengaging. I had this issue with a 97 CJ7 Jeep. I put a new clutch in it and didn't get it adj. back right. Went through this same type problem for a couple weeks until I figured out what I had done.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:42 PM

thanks for the help guys

Old 03-07-2010, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by 2wheelmonster
what happened to the pontiac fiero?
I went off to college, and it wasn't reliable enough to make any long trips. For some odd reason the engineers didn't put a belt tensioner on any of the engines except the 1984's 4 cylinder. So it would have to be tightened every few weeks. Which meant putting the car on stands and adjusting the water pump against the belt. It really needed two people to do, one to put pressure against the belt, while the other tightened the bolts. I loved that car though, it was a red '86 GT, I hope to get another one in the future.

Quick Reply: Are These Shifting Problems Common?