PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat stuck open

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by bheff
Over time the additives in the coolant deplete. Any time you have fluid moving through dissimilar metals there is a chance it can obtain a charge. The term is called electrolysis. The electrolysis can actually pit the metal in the coolant system. There is not a set "standard" that I know of, some say anything over .20 volts is bad, others say higher. Google coolant system electrolysis, and maybe something will pop up. I was only trying to give the original poster another avenue to look at, while he has attempting to find the cause of his DIC light. Sometimes you just have to throw the book out and learn from the guys with the dirty hands.
Speaking as a book learned engineer, I say Amen to that last sentence. There is just no substitute for field experience.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:02 AM

OMG that sux, I just had fluid changed. What is the wheel house, how long will ya think it will take. Do you have a guide?

Originally Posted by drtom
sometime i believe what i read,,,then later i check the book.

compared to cars we worked on in the past,changing the thermo on th h3 is just short of a nightmare!!

yes you drain the system!.
no its not on top!
yes you pull the wheel house .

the thermo is below , rear of the starter, lower hose.

oh my i hope i never need to do it,,when its 5 degrees out!!

and btw the book says nothing about measuring the coolant "voltage"!

Old 12-15-2010, 10:53 AM
Banned
Default checked the book agin

the successful mechanic usually has all the books he can get,,with dirty fingerprints throughout!! so have fun boys but if u want something fixed right look to someone who never makes stuff up to sound impressive...

like he said"No need to drain the coolant. You might spill a little on the ground but it wont be much. Pull upper radiator hose (should be on the water pump) and pull out the thermostat, put new one in and replace hose. "

arent thermostats always in the hose!!!

actually the upper hose goes to the block nowhere near the water pump

find the thermo as i told u from the "guide" and when you unhook the lower hose u will dump the fluid.

you might just want to take it in and keep your hands clean!! and warm

oh?,the wheelhouse,,just a term the gm engineers use . its where the wheel lives!!,like a dog house,,or cat house!!

Last edited by drtom; 12-15-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:45 PM

Tom, in one of my first post, I stated I had never changed one in the Hummer. I was simply going off of previous experience with different engines. The I5 in a Hummer is obviously a different beast, and has its own idiosyncrasies. Electrolysis is a fact, and has been know to throw codes in GM vehicles. This horse has been beaten enough, and everyone (including myself) has hopefully learned something.