PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Up the a$$?

Old 07-02-2009, 06:32 PM
Default Up the a$$?

Sorry for the title. I am a bit frustrated. Sitting at my lovely Hummer dealership here in Denver. Free wireless, turns out its not so free, read on..

Brought in my H3 for the seat bulletin - every time I was getting in my H3, my seat heater was kicking on. They put in an extra screw in the plastic to keep it in place. They are doing it to both the driver and passenger side.

So, I am sitting in the nice comfy leather sofa, dozing off after looking at all the fun toys in the dealership. The service guy comes on and says, well, we are almost done with the seat, we noticed your drive shaft boot was torn and wanted to know if you have time to replace the entire shaft and it comes with a new boot, all under warranty. I said great, go ahead, longer nap for me....
He proceeds to say will do, turns around, then turns around again and says "I just noticed you are coming close to your 30k service, should we look at scheduling it? I said, sure, what's involved. He said they change all the fluids, tranny fluids, differentials, etc. I said sounds good, how much? He proceeds to say $1200.00. I was floored. He said, yep, those synthetic oils are expensive. I thought to myself, no $hit.

So fellow Hummer owners - $1200 for a 30,000 mile service? Please tell me I can do this myself or bring it to a reputable shop for a lot less bones. I have had other 4x4 vehicles and never had anything above $500 bucks unless I tore something up myself.
Is this real?

Last edited by l8ter; 07-02-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:55 PM

I can't remember exactly but I think it was maybe $600 when we had it done on our '06. I thought that was way too much!

Old 07-02-2009, 11:55 PM

150.00 or so for synthetic fluids, some hand tools and an afternoon. I don't really care much for the Hummer tax tthat hey think is ok to rape you with.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:58 AM

Only the front and rear differential uses synthetic. The transfer case and transmission uses Dexron III and/or VI depending on the year. All the fluids you need can be bought at a regular auto parts store for much less than $150. You may want to ask the service guy if they are able to evacuate all the transmission fluid or just a pan drop and filter change which is about 4 quarts (around 1/2 of the total fluid). If they can do a total transmission fluid exchange, then it may be worth having them do that, but the others are easy to do yourself.

Given that, according to my 06 manual, then transmission fluid change is at 100K? I didn't wait that long, but that's what it says.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:42 PM

apparently each dealer has a different 30k pricing schedule. When i took my 06 in for an oil change, they suggested some services due at 30k. It was a front diff service.. actually a 25k service ($99), the oil change I was already there for, a tire rotate / balance and alignment. When I went back last week for some warranty work they also suggested a 30k maintenance of a throttle body clean for $115. I can't imagine what would be in there for 12 hunies!

Old 07-07-2009, 12:26 PM

Interesting, a lot of perspectives on something which you would think is concrete.
I tried searching for the maintenance schedule online for the H3 and didn't find a "30k" service. You would think for $1200 (have seen a $1400 charge on the Elcova forums) a lot of data would be available to see what is done and/or required.
So far here is what I see in a 30k service - uh, in my H3 owners manual it says, well uh, 25k and 50k services... well I'll be damned, no 30k service.
Maybe I am a 'tard but maintenance schedule I,II, and additional required services per the H3 book has no mention of any required service at 30k.

Me being simple minded read in the owner's manual: Auto tranny fluid and filter should be changed at 25 and 50k, ditto the transfer case fluid, ditto the air cleaner filter. The all knowing deity we call Google verified this as well....

So, what do you do to maintain your H3 and is there a 30k service or do I go to the dealership with my owner's manual in hand and ask them to show me where to look?

BTW, as a sidenote - the heated seats coming on being fixed by adding a screw to the right of the controls on the outside of the plastic below seat - doesn't work.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:21 AM

Back at the dealership again. Brought in a bulletin showing how to disable the door locks from automatically locking, $50 bucks for two minutes on the analyzer...already paid $40 last visit to have them program my key fob to both work. They are not winning a lot of points here as I have read many dealerships do this as goodwill.
Have the breakdown on the service. This is "dealer" recommended for "our" driving conditions...
59.90 Oil Change
368.90 Fuel Injection Service and Transmission Services
79.95 Replace Fuel Filter
399.95 Driveline Service (Front, Rear Differential & Transfer Case)
130.00 Brake Fluid Service
169.95 Coolings System Service
150 Power Steering Fluid Service

$1358.65 Total Price for a service not even listed in the owners manual?
Seems a bit outrageous...

Two questions:
Has your dealer tried this and recommended this?
What is really needed?

Thanks!!!

Old 07-08-2009, 08:00 PM

dont forget the blinker fluid

Old 07-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

find another dealer

Old 07-08-2009, 09:21 PM

WTF $1,358.65 and they don't repack the muffler bearings? Whats up with that?

This just frosts my nutz, The dealers think because you bought a hummer, your gonna bend over and over pay for services. Hey GM you listening to this? HELLO HELLO, Is this thing on? Can you hear me? When you let dealerships do this kind of squat, you get the black eye.

Search this Thread