Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Temp / roar

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 11:41 AM

Here is the "book procedure", #7 on down.

Once the radiator is filled, It "should" do it on it's own.

I've replaced/removed for cleaning a few radiators in my time and some of them need to be "burped".
When system is cool, I started the vehicle. Left the radiator cap off, then I had to squeeze the upper radiator hose a few times to "burp" the new anti-freeze in the coolant tank/engine. Replaced the cap once the engine is up to temp. Turned the heater on high, leave the motor running for about 5 minutes. Make sure to keep the reservoir filled about half way during this procedure.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by TAINTER; 08-13-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:23 PM

Well thank you so much! I'll give it a try. I appreciate all of your info and help
Jules

Old 08-13-2018, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

When you change coolant (or replace the radiator) there is NO burp procedure required for the H3. Air will work itself out, you do have to check the coolant level in the reservoir tank. The H3 has no bleeder screws.
So look at the reservoir (some call it an overflow tank?) and add some coolant of low. Use only the Red GM Dexcool, 50% coolant, 50% distilled water or buy the ready mixed 50/50 stuff.

Your mechanic should have filled the radiator, started the engine with the radiator cap off, wait until the T State opens, add coolant to full, then put the cap back on and add coolant to the reservoir tank to the full cold line. Shut it off, let it all cool down. Check the coolant level in the reservoir tank add if necessary,drive to full temp and check the reservoir tank level again.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:20 PM

Have had 07 H3 80,000 on the clock for about a year now. Drive it very little being I’m on a motorcycle Most of the year. Temp showed just over middle, got it flushed out and thermostat changed at the dealer and have been running about 3/4. Good to know this seems normal and it’s been very hot locally but again I don’t have a lot to go on as I don’t drive it. Now I’m going to address my FING LEAKING Sun Roof. I’ll jump onto another thread and cry about that. See if you can talk me out of Permanently Sealing it.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:21 PM

Have had 07 H3 80,000 on the clock for about a year now. Drive it very little being I’m on a motorcycle Most of the year. Temp showed just over middle, got it flushed out and thermostat changed at the dealer and have been running about 3/4. Good to know this seems normal and it’s been very hot locally but again I don’t have a lot to go on as I don’t drive it. Now I’m going to address my FING LEAKING Sun Roof. I’ll jump onto another thread and cry about that. See if you can talk me out of Permanently Sealing it.

Old 08-25-2018, 05:30 AM

I read in your thread one sentence that saying "and then noticed an antifreeze smell" and if the antifreeze smell is inside the cabin so you need to check the cabin heater core and its hoses maybe it has a small leak if you have an antifreeze smell inside.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:27 PM

My fan used to be quiet at 140000 miles replaced the fan radiator water pump, belt and tensioner pully and idler and now it roars But it now keeps its cool while towing a trailer.
even reguler driving you can hear come on and off, like it should. And my temp gage is 1/2 to a bit above it,