PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Suspending the rear driveshaft for towing.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:32 AM
Default Suspending the rear driveshaft for towing.

Going to tow my H3 on a tow dolly and need to disconnect the rear driveshaft. Don't want to pull it out from the trans just tie it up. Any suggestions on how to do it?

Old 02-14-2013, 11:35 AM

There is no need to pull the driveshaft, just put the transfer case in neutral

Old 02-14-2013, 11:53 AM

But I thought the owners Manual stated do not use a tow dolly. Wonder if it has something to do with the transfer case being lubed.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:06 PM

I am confused about towing too. I describes how to go to park and put the transfer case in neutral. Does that mean you can tow with 4 wheels on ground?.
It seems like if you unhook the driveshaft and have the front off the ground you could not hurt anything huh? If you do that I would mark the u joint position, unhook it and just tie it so it cant come out of the t case.
It still seems like once in neutral you could tow dolly.
I also wonder just what the t case neutral is?, unhooked from tranny but is the front still connected to the rear?
I'll be watching.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:58 AM
I tow my 2008 H3 Alpha behind my motor home. I put the transfer case in neutral following the directions in the owners manual*. No issues. Tow 4 wheels down. I installed the Blue Ox towing equipment onto the front of the Hummer. The original tow rings installed at the factory are not recommended for towing.

*with engine running, transmission in neutral, parking brake on, push the 4 high button and the 4 low lock button in simultaneouly and hold until Neutral light stops blinking and is solid (takes between 10 seconds and 60 seconds). Place transmission into drive for 1 second, then place transmission into reverse for 1 second. (This will let you know the transfer case is in neutral). Switch the engine off, place the transmission into park, remove the key. Release the emergency brake.

Hope this helps you with your decision.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

Looks like this.
Name:  DSC00321.jpg
Views: 1144
Size:  145.4 KB

Old 02-15-2013, 09:50 AM

Still curious,if you can tow with 4 on the floor,why not 2??
If the t case is in neutral huh?
What is neutral?. I can see hi and lo,lock and unlock, I wonder how neutral is done with just those 2 shift forks?
I'll guess for now that it unhooks from the tranny and the front/rear are still connected in open mode.

LATER:,Found it. In neutral the hi/lo sleeve is in between and no gear is engaged,the lock/open assm is still in awd ,open mode,so the front and rear are still connected in open mode. Towing in this case with front on a dolly would be like rolling down road with front brakes on!

"
When the BW 4493/4494 shifts to the NEUTRAL position, the high/low range sleeve is centered
between the input shaft and the high/low planetary carrier. The high/low range sleeve is not
engaged with either the input shaft or the high/low planetary carrier teeth. The planetary
differential is in the AWD mode."

Last edited by happythree; 02-15-2013 at 10:27 AM. Reason: update
Old 02-15-2013, 11:03 AM

I just talked to a guy about the H3 being towed. He stated the same thing in regards to the transfer case. Because it's an all-wheel-drive vehicle the transfer case is disconnected from the transmission but both front and rear wheels are still turning. My only option is to disconnect the rear driveshaft and tie it up. It's really not that much of a problem 10 minutes and I'm on the road.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by Fireguywalters
But I thought the owners Manual stated do not use a tow dolly. Wonder if it has something to do with the transfer case being lubed.
You are correct. I consulted my owners manual and it states the vehicle cannot be dolly towed without causing damage to the drive train components.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

Everyone I know that tows their H3 flat tows them and just put the Tcase in neutral. Easy and no issues.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suspending the rear driveshaft for towing.