Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Sunroof won’t open makes noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 12:11 AM
Default Sunroof won’t open makes noise

I got a new to me, 2006 Hummer H3 with a sunroof and when I press the sunroof button down or up it doesn’t move it makes a struggling noise. Not sure if it’s the button or motor. I tried looking on this forum for similar problems as mine but can’t find any, anyone with tips let me know thank you

Old 07-22-2018, 10:58 AM

maybe unused and stuck?

Old 07-22-2018, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by happythree
maybe unused and stuck?
Yeah maybe, I click it and it makes a noise as it’s trying to move but the windo stays still. When I click it backwards the sunroof will move a little the first try and actually go a little backwards so the sunroof pops up from the back then when I close it it closes all the way and will struggle to make any more movement.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:21 PM

If it never/rarely gets used, the rubber seal may have adhered to the glass frame. Try and work something around the seal that won't cut (popsicle stick?) to free it up. If that works, and allows it to open, spread a film of silicone grease on the seal.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:34 PM

I’ll check but I was probably thinking it could be the button doesn’t function? Is there any threads similar to mine I tried searching sunroof threads and found nothing

Old 07-22-2018, 06:52 PM

If it's "making a noise", "moving a little", and "popping up in the rear", then that tells me the switch is sending current to the motor. My guess is it's not the switch.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:17 AM

Sounds like either the track guide is broken or the cable has skipped/broken teeth on your sunroof motor.

Either way it's headliner removal might as well clean and reinforce all of the sunroof drains while you have the headliner off. Plenty of YouTube vids on the tubes.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Sounds like either the track guide is broken or the cable has skipped/broken teeth on your sunroof motor.

Either way it's headliner removal might as well clean and reinforce all of the sunroof drains while you have the headliner off. Plenty of YouTube vids on the tubes.
thanks for the reply! So is there any videos or threads about the problem I am having? You sound like you know what your talking about,

Old 07-23-2018, 12:34 PM

In my early days I was employed by an OEM sunroof manufacturer WEBASTO.

You should be able to find YouTube videos of motor replacement and/or diagnostics. AS long as the video is of a front motor it will be pretty much the same as yours.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
In my early days I was employed by an OEM sunroof manufacturer WEBASTO.

You should be able to find YouTube videos of motor replacement and/or diagnostics. AS long as the video is of a front motor it will be pretty much the same as yours.
so I was able to pull out and inspect the motor and everything looked good, the switch looks good as well I cleaned the motor and it’s actually closing the sunroof strong now but it doesn’t open, does anyone know where to locate the tracks or how to repair them? That’s the next step

Quick Reply: Sunroof won’t open makes noise