Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Sunroof Test

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 06:38 PM
Default Sunroof Test

I was reading on the sunroof leak, watched a few YouTubes and decided to see if mine was clogged, winter should arrive sometime in the next month or so out here in Comifornia. I opened sunroof, poured a bottle water in the gutter part and guess what, water didn’t drain! Damn! It was easier than I thought to get to both rubber grommets, pulled those and they were caked with sludge, drilled out the fingers, put back together, poured another bottled water and all is good now! So if any of these newbies to the H3 haven’t done this, do it.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:31 PM

I have a quick question:

I may open my sunroof once a year on a warm Spring day; but the rest of the time it remains closed.
If the seal around the sunroof is doing it's job when the sunroof is closed, how does water pool in the sunroof "troughs" to need to be drained through the two front and two rear drain holes?

Thanks for any and all input.......

Old 11-02-2018, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

The sunroof "seals" at the bottom of the glass seal (#15) to keep air/water out of the passenger compartment, not the sides. When closed water flows over the seal sides which actually do not touch the body into gutters (the sunroof tray & track #1 below) and out the drain tubes by gravity. If the seal were touching the roof body opening with any degree of force it would wear off the paint from opening or sliding back over time.

Old 11-02-2018, 01:15 PM

Thanks for the enlightening answer.
I sure appreciate your speedy answers.
Would adding a sunroof deflector help solve this problem or does the deflector only deflect the wind when the vehicle is moving?

Old 11-02-2018, 01:30 PM

"If the seal were touching the roof body opening with any degree of force it would wear off the paint from opening or sliding back over time." X2!
The seal is not intended to be AIR/WATER tight. It's designed to keep out debris and the majority of water.

Old 12-31-2018, 04:20 PM

Also, a properly adjusted glass panel, will reduce the amount of water that can enter the area.
There are 4 screws (two on each side) that can be loosened, slightly, to adjust the height of the glass panel.
Having worked in a GM body body, for a while, the general procedure was to adjust the panel 1 to 2 mm,
above the roof surface. Downward air pressure, from normal driving, and/or heavy snow or rain can force the
glass panel, sometimes. However, don't over tighten the screws. They will strip, if you go gorilla on them.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:15 PM

i give everything a silicone grease rubdown with cloth to clean , lube, and keep rubber alive, 2 to three times a year.
zero problems in 8 yrs and 74000 miles.
drains free with no cleaning.
keep it closed xcept when rolling on clear days..

Old 01-01-2019, 11:48 AM

Happythree ,
you are right on target! I have two 3's and make it a point to keep the seals clean and lubed with dielectric grease. Zero problems. I bought a used '07 to flip that had the drains plugged and just poured the drain pan full of CLEANSHOWER. In a few minutes, the drains started running without disassembling anything. After that, I started running a bit of CLEANSHOWER through the drains of my ALPHA and CE at every oil change. The stuff is safe for plastic/rubber and also makes a great engine compartment detailer.
P.S. Forgot to mention, a buddy of mine also had success unplugging his drains by dumping CLEANSHOWER in the drain pan of his '06.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

While this is a great tip, all the Cleanshower in the world will not cut the "x" out of the end of the drain tubes at the firewall. Do both for best results.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:34 PM
Default I have fought This for a year!!!

I have heard of this issue for a while. Mine is exceptionally terrible to where I do not drive it when there is a chance of rain if I can help it. going to go try this right now!!

2.5 hrs later....

Well I opened the sunroof and noticed the drain holes had a good amount of black sludge around them. I started cleaning around them with some soap & water and POOFFF!!!! Next thing i know, entire vehicle was washed and waxed and drain ports are still clogged 100% . (side note: I suffer from a severe ADHD). But tomorrow is another day!! But man she looks sharp!!!

Last edited by Geohawk; 01-15-2019 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Results