Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

stuck ignition key?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 03:08 PM
Question stuck ignition key?

I have a '06 H3 with 185K miles on it, automatic transmission.

In January, I got some new keys from the dealership to replace old worn ones. A week or so later, I had a problem where my key was stuck in the ignition and the ignition would not turn off past the ACC mode, it wouldn't go all of the way to lock. Couldn't get the key out. Couldn't turn the vehicle off completely.

Took it to a local Chevy dealer. They installed a new ignition cylinder (supposedly) which seemed to solve to problem for a while. I've had two instances where the key got stuck again since that work was done. The first time it resolved itself after driving around for a bit. The most recent time, I took it back into the dealer and asked them to investigate.

Their response was that the ignition cylinder is working properly, but there's a solenoid or something in the gear shifter that is not allowing the ignition to release the key. They claim they were able to get it fixed temporarily, but recommended replacing the shifter. I'm pretty suspicious of the diagnosis. Has anyone here run into a similar circumstance? Does that sound feasible?

Either way, I'm having somebody else do the work if it does need to be done. If it's an easy enough task, I might borrow a buddy's garage and try to knock it out myself.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:11 PM

Ignition key stuck = dead battery

This is mentioned in numerous threads on this forum.

Old 02-22-2019, 04:29 PM

The battery wasn't dead any of the times the key's gotten stuck. I've found the solenoid (and also a few threads about similar experiences). Hopefully I can override the solenoid if it happens again. Might look at replacing it if need be.

Old 02-25-2019, 02:07 PM

I had this issue. I knew about the lock out on the shifter and took the console out and removed the shifter unit. I don't have the pics but there is a channel on the shift shaft that had a burr on it (not sure how it got there) that needed to be filed down so there was free movement and the safety solenoid could be engaged and you could take your key out.

I'ts not a huge job but it's involved enough that you will need a couple hours to get this done. Sorry for the very basic and generic info, but I did this over a year ago and do not have the pics or I'd post them for you.

Old 03-01-2019, 04:06 PM

That's actually really useful info, thanks!

Old 03-04-2019, 09:14 PM

I had this problem a few weeks ago. I took the solenoid out of the holder by the lock cylinder and left the wiring plugged in. I can now get the key into the lock position and remove the key with the vehicle in any gear. I haven't had any time to replace solenoid or look into any electrical gremlins. I recommend getting the issue resolved so the vehicle isn't left in gear and the key removed. Your H3 could roll away.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:10 AM

I've had the stuck key issue continue to pop up about once a week. The leather shifter cover I have never fit quite right since it was installed, which has ended up working out in my favor. I've been able to reach into the compartment when my key gets stuck, work the plunger on that solenoid a bit with my finger and after a few tries, I've been able to get the key to release every time. If the problem gets worse, I may look at pulling that solenoid out and trying wongsol's recommendation, but for now I'm pretty happy with the work around.