PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering not as precise as I expected

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 08:20 AM
Exclamation Steering not as precise as I expected

After having a few snows up here I am finally getting more comfortable with the way the vehicle performs on the slippery roads. One aspect I am still uncomfortable with is slow speed turns on anything snow covered, for example my driveway. I have about a 60 degree curve in the driveway and if its snow covered most times the vehicle slides straight instead of following the direction i point the wheels. It is a bit alarming how much it slides. I am not "attacking" this curve at too high of a speed, it just doesnt want to grip until I hit the grass on the edge. I have ttried a few quick accelerator/brake pedal manuvers in order to manipulate the TCS system to no avail. I am running BFG AT's 265's.

I am wondering how many of you also experience this and what you've found to correct the vehicle in these situation. Possibly the BFG's are not a good tread pattern for the vehicle weight, etc. I have run them on previous vehicles but the weight on the tires was much less.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:46 AM
Banned

im ok on packed snow but i cant steer in fresh snow.
last yr i had an o7 with 265 stock tires. now i have a 10 adv with 285. still cant steer in fresh snow. both the same

its worse when i try locked front diff.

if i try to practice in my yard,so i can walk home!, i cant climb a grade thats 7 ft rise in 40 feet.

i try to drive a circle and need to back up if possible, to get pointed at my one escape route, a more gradual drive. i reported this last year and the pros laughed and said i just wasnt smart enuf!!

the fat tires are great,,except they are like snow boards, they dont dig in like the old skinny snow tires.
so ure not alone, unless ure as dumb as i am

Last edited by drtom; 01-16-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:14 AM

My experience with the bridgestones in deep snow has been good. This includes in the mountains. My experience with the current STT Cooper's I have are even better. Last year driving through up to 10 inches of snow on Lone mesa.

Best thing I have learned is to go slow, and be happy you have full time 4x4. The jeeps with part time, have to engage 4x4 or they do circles.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:26 AM

I have to admit, I am not impressed with the traction on the front of the H3 while driving in snow/salt/sand conditions here in NY. The front slides alot and the damn ABS kicks in as well too often. Our Grand Cherokee Limited (replaced by the H3) felt more planted to the ground. It is so bad that I decided to visit Firestone yesterday for a alignment. It is better but not great. I might throw some different tires on to see if it is any better. I am thinking that the front may be too light with the I5???

Old 01-16-2011, 09:32 AM

Just remember, for traction in any wet surface, the tires are probably the most important issue.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:25 PM

Wow will have to disagree completely with this thread. I grew up driving in snow and I have driven everything from cars to trucks to mopeds to motorbikes...lol in snow and I can say my T is like a tank and is one of the best vehicles I have ever driven in snow conditions.
I will agree 100% with F5 that tires are most important, I have 315 dura tracs and they are amazing, but I will also say the driver is a close second. I am always surprised at how most people expect vehicles to handle in snow conditions.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:32 PM

Personally, I have never driven any vehicle that handles any snow condition as well as our H3. Maybe it's the tires, IDK. Fresh snow or packed doesn't really matter and it SNOWS here! I rarely use 4x4, but a couple days ago we were headed up an offroad single track when I encountered another truck coming down the trail. It was much closer for me to back down a half mile than for him to back up two miles to the turn around. I was nervous and ended up running off trail into two feet of variable snow on two occasions, which the H3 had no problem crawling out of at an incline in 4 high!

Old 01-16-2011, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by largemouthbass
Wow will have to disagree completely with this thread. I grew up driving in snow and I have driven everything from cars to trucks to mopeds to motorbikes...lol in snow and I can say my T is like a tank and is one of the best vehicles I have ever driven in snow conditions.
I will agree 100% with F5 that tires are most important, I have 315 dura tracs and they are amazing, but I will also say the driver is a close second. I am always surprised at how most people expect vehicles to handle in snow conditions.
Let me reiterate from my original post, I am driving in my DRIVEWAY at normal DRIVEWAY SPEEDS. While I won't go into my qualifications as a winter driver, let's say for argument sake I am smart enough to navigate my own driveway. Your comment about your tires is what I am inquiring about. I briefly had the Duratracs but they could not get them balanced so I had them switched to the BFG AT's. Possibly the BFG is not the right tire for the H3.
I appreciate your repsonses gentlemen. I agree, it does seems like the front is almost too light in the situation I am describing. I also have the I5.

Last edited by Widespread Hummer; 01-16-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:20 PM
Banned
Default tires?

but first,
. I am always surprised at how most people expect vehicles to handle in snow conditions.
i think most people, me , expect vehicles to handle not to well in snow, and require careful slow operation. i can move on level ground with my stock bridgestone 285s, but i cant steer or go up hills. they slide when turning and i doubt if a different driver would find it different. hey im 260 lbs so im even adding ballast!

i do well on packed sno roads,fresh is a no no.

it dont seem to matter which mode im in.
so im not playing in the snow,far from home! im not buying new rubber just for snow

Old 01-16-2011, 06:49 PM

I have 33" Duratrac's. I have had no issues in snow. We just had 2 blizzards in CT and I was able to get around just fine.
The tires make a big difference. I slid around much more with the stock 265 Wranglers.

Quick Reply: Steering not as precise as I expected